Problems with Variable Testing - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Problems with Variable Testing

5thshadow5thshadow Posts: 2Member
[b][red]This message was edited by 5thshadow at 2005-10-19 6:52:55[/red][/b][hr]
How would I do the opposite of 'variable = CInt(Val(txtInput.Text))', like if you enter a number it would return a value of 0

Comments

• GogiGogi Posts: 258Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by 5thshadow at 2005-10-19 6:52:55[/red][/b][hr]
    : How would I do the opposite of 'variable = CInt(Val(txtInput.Text))', like if you enter a number it would return a value of 0
    :

What do you mean?
    Please give more details.
  • rlcrlc Posts: 448Member
    Simple way to check for a number....

[code]
    If Not IsNumeric(txtInput.Text) Then
    'it is not a number
    variable = .....
    End if[/code]

If you want something more complex that can account for specific special characters and such, you need to learn how to write a Regular Expression, google it and you will find plenty of examples.

~rlc

: : [b][red]This message was edited by 5thshadow at 2005-10-19 6:52:55[/red][/b][hr]
    : : How would I do the opposite of 'variable = CInt(Val(txtInput.Text))', like if you enter a number it would return a value of 0
    : :
    :
    : What do you mean?
    : Please give more details.
    :
  • 5thshadow5thshadow Posts: 2Member
    Thanks rlc, that's exactly what I was looking for

: Simple way to check for a number....
    :
    : [code]
    : If Not IsNumeric(txtInput.Text) Then
    : 'it is not a number
    : variable = .....
    : End if[/code]
    :
    : If you want something more complex that can account for specific special characters and such, you need to learn how to write a Regular Expression, google it and you will find plenty of examples.
    :
    :
    : ~rlc
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : : : [b][red]This message was edited by 5thshadow at 2005-10-19 6:52:55[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : How would I do the opposite of 'variable = CInt(Val(txtInput.Text))', like if you enter a number it would return a value of 0
    : : :
    : : What do you mean?
    : : Please give more details.
    :