Passing a file path as argument and reading it - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Passing a file path as argument and reading it

learnClearnC Posts: 9Member
Hi all,
I need to write an utility that takes a file name or file path as argument, open and read the file. Then I need to convert it to binary and write it to another file.
I could not figure how I could pass a file path (ex:C:/usr/temp/Cprograms/prog1.c). When a path like this is given how do I read it and open the file.
For writing to the file can I use fwrite(). Is there any other method to do this.

Thanks

Comments

• dwccgcdwccgc Posts: 576Member
    : Hi all,
    : I need to write an utility that takes a file name or file path as argument, open and read the file. Then I need to convert it to binary and write it to another file.
    : I could not figure how I could pass a file path (ex:C:/usr/temp/Cprograms/prog1.c). When a path like this is given how do I read it and open the file.
    : For writing to the file can I use fwrite(). Is there any other method to do this.
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    :
    :
    :
    [blue]
    [b]I need to write an utility that takes a file name or file path as argument[/b]
    This should get you started
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclang/html/_pluslang_Argument_Definitions.asp
    [/blue]
  • learnClearnC Posts: 9Member
    : : Hi all,
    : : I need to write an utility that takes a file name or file path as argument, open and read the file. Then I need to convert it to binary and write it to another file.
    : : I could not figure how I could pass a file path (ex:C:/usr/temp/Cprograms/prog1.c). When a path like this is given how do I read it and open the file.
    : : For writing to the file can I use fwrite(). Is there any other method to do this.
    : :
    : : Thanks
    : [blue]
    : [b]I need to write an utility that takes a file name or file path as argument[/b]
    : This should get you started
    : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclang/html/_pluslang_Argument_Definitions.asp
    : [/blue]
    :
    Thanks..When I pass the file path name as an argument how could I strip off the extension and the directory path. I just need the filename.
  • istrasciistrasci Posts: 107Member
    : : : Hi all,
    : : : I need to write an utility that takes a file name or file path as argument, open and read the file. Then I need to convert it to binary and write it to another file.
    : : : I could not figure how I could pass a file path (ex:C:/usr/temp/Cprograms/prog1.c). When a path like this is given how do I read it and open the file.
    : : : For writing to the file can I use fwrite(). Is there any other method to do this.
    : : :
    : : : Thanks
    : : [blue]
    : : [b]I need to write an utility that takes a file name or file path as argument[/b]
    : : This should get you started
    : : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclang/html/_pluslang_Argument_Definitions.asp
    : : [/blue]
    : Thanks..When I pass the file path name as an argument how could I strip off the extension and the directory path. I just need the filename.
    :

Use strstr() function for C-style strings (char* -- man strstr) or use the member function substr() if you are using C++ strings (std::string -- see http://www.msoe.edu/eecs/cese/resources/stl/string.htm)
  • stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : Thanks..When I pass the file path name as an argument how could I strip off the extension and the directory path. I just need the filename.
    :

copy it into another buffer
    [code]
    int main(int argc, char* argv[])
    {
    char buffer[255];
    // locate end of path, which is the last slash in the string
    char *ptr = strrchr(argv[0],'\');
    // copy remainder of string
    strcpy(buffer,ptr+1);
    // strip file extension
    ptr = strchr(buffer,'.');
    // if the extension exists, truncate it
    if(ptr != 0)
    *ptr = 0;

}
    [/code]
  • learnClearnC Posts: 9Member
    : : Thanks..When I pass the file path name as an argument how could I strip off the extension and the directory path. I just need the filename.
    :
    : copy it into another buffer
    : [code]
    : int main(int argc, char* argv[])
    : {
    : char buffer[255];
    : // locate end of path, which is the last slash in the string
    : char *ptr = strrchr(argv[0],'\');
    : // copy remainder of string
    : strcpy(buffer,ptr+1);
    : // strip file extension