Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Removing files in Unix

Hi, how can I eliminate the question to confirm removing files in unix.
It always prompt me. I have hundreds of files in a directory and i just want to remove them all with no prompt
I've used command " rm -f * " .... its not working
Please help !!
Thanks !!!

Comments

• ITAITA Member Posts: 463
    : Hi, how can I eliminate the question to confirm removing files in unix.
    : It always prompt me. I have hundreds of files in a directory and i just want to remove them all with no prompt
    : I've used command " rm -f * " .... its not working
    : Please help !!
    : Thanks !!!

Try
    [code]
    rm -rf
    [/code]

What sort of messages are you getting that are preventing you from removing the files?

Another thing could be that your distro has created an alias command for you in the .bashrc file (in your home directory), so that you don't accidentally destroy all of your files at once.

If rm -rf doesn't work, take a look at the .bashrc file, and edit the alias (or just delete it if you don't want it).

Regards,

ITA
    "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"

• HarshanduHarshandu Member Posts: 7
    : : Hi, how can I eliminate the question to confirm removing files in unix.
    : : It always prompt me. I have hundreds of files in a directory and i just want to remove them all with no prompt
    : : I've used command " rm -f * " .... its not working
    : : Please help !!
    : : Thanks !!!
    :
    : Try
    : [code]
    : rm -rf
    : [/code]
    :
    : What sort of messages are you getting that are preventing you from removing the files?
    :
    : Another thing could be that your distro has created an alias command for you in the .bashrc file (in your home directory), so that you don't accidentally destroy all of your files at once.
    :
    : If rm -rf doesn't work, take a look at the .bashrc file, and edit the alias (or just delete it if you don't want it).
    :
    : Regards,
    :
    : ITA
    : "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"
    :
    :

If u want to delete all the files in the directory at a time use rm -rf.where r for recursive and f for force.

Regards,
    Harsh.