Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

starting new processes, sort of

Gregry2Gregry2 Posts: 607Member
this was posted on the c/c++ board because it was discussable there, but its for a java program, so hooha.

I want instantiate a class, but as a seperate process, not just a thread, so i can end the instantiater (if thats a word) and the other class will still be running.

As i said there, maybe a system call to the os. But that wouldnt be so portable. But of course, all the os's have the same scheme, but you know how our mindset is, like what if some new messed up os written by script-loving, high-level programmers has a convention of calling a program with the parameters in front of the name...you know the drill...

well thanx you guys. I just am about to start a java thing, so ill be on this board a little bit now

thanx
{2}rIng

Comments

• VilanyeVilanye Posts: 684Member
    : this was posted on the c/c++ board because it was discussable there, but its for a java program, so hooha.
    :
    : I want instantiate a class, but as a seperate process, not just a thread, so i can end the instantiater (if thats a word) and the other class will still be running.
    :
    : As i said there, maybe a system call to the os. But that wouldnt be so portable. But of course, all the os's have the same scheme, but you know how our mindset is, like what if some new messed up os written by script-loving, high-level programmers has a convention of calling a program with the parameters in front of the name...you know the drill...
    :
    : well thanx you guys. I just am about to start a java thing, so ill be on this board a little bit now
    :
    : thanx
    : {2}rIng
    :

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html
    [italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][italic]

• Gregry2Gregry2 Posts: 607Member
    : : this was posted on the c/c++ board because it was discussable there, but its for a java program, so hooha.
    : :
    : : I want instantiate a class, but as a seperate process, not just a thread, so i can end the instantiater (if thats a word) and the other class will still be running.
    : : As i said there, maybe a system call to the os. But that wouldnt be so portable. But of course, all the os's have the same scheme, but you know how our mindset is, like what if some new messed up os written by script-loving, high-level programmers has a convention of calling a program with the parameters in front of the name...you know the drill...
    : : well thanx you guys. I just am about to start a java thing, so ill be on this board a little bit now
    : : thanx
    : : {2}rIng
    :
    :
    : http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html
    : [italic][blue]Just my 2 bits[/blue][italic]
    :
    :

which do you think is better? exec or ProcessBuilder?