Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Python use

borering_guy89borering_guy89 Posts: 33Member
How is python useful if its not compiled and the person must have it installed to run the scripts?

Comments

• DrostDrost Posts: 24Member
    : How is python useful if its not compiled and the person must have it installed to run the scripts?
    :

Search for some comparisons of compiled vs. interpreted implementations of programming languages. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Merits for interpreted languages might be better handled platform independence, easier to debug, easier to apply changes, even the end-user can modify it to comply with his/her specific needs, etc. Of course the tag 'open-source' springs up as well.

Think of interpreted scripts as webpages... text-based files interpreted on the end-users' machines - to which they need browsers. It has uses, it has reasons.

Having a programming language on the machine makes the use of computers more in sync with for example reading(using)-writing(creating) abilities of men.
    By not just using the resources ("reading"), not just having to rely on someone else to write the solution of a general problem, the user might take a better part in the software productivity, creating his/her own solutions for his/her needs ("writing").

As of the choice of which language to choose? Pick one.
    Consider ease of use, learning curve, documentation, active user-community, effectiveness (speed, purpose, deliverability, etc.).

Drost

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : How is python useful if its not compiled and the person must have it installed to run the scripts?

It's actually far more "useful" precisely because it is not compiled. Well, also because the syntax is so simple. You can use it for tiny "shell scripts" all the way up to full-blown web frameworks.

And you can write extensions in C if you really need the performance boost for something.

Compared to the Java runtime or the mammoth .NET framework, the Python interpreter is a very modest thing to require users to install.

And technically, the code does get compiled, just like Java and .NET, to a "bytecode" file, which is what the interpreter actually executes.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• GrimboyGrimboy Posts: 1Member
    If this really pisses you off you can always use something like py2exe (http://www.py2exe.org) (for mac there's py2app (http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html)) make sure to provide a normal download as well for users using other platforms.
  • Gregry2Gregry2 Posts: 607Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Gregry2 at 2006-1-16 5:29:42[/red][/b][hr]
    :

Saying such a thing is insulting the entire scripting world! I guess, you're right in some cases, but it has it uses. I'm not an expert, but I'll tell you what I know.

One, its alot more efficient for things like CGI. Think, a compiled program needs things like memory management, utilities and other libraries, for each executable. However, a script doesn't, it only needs a interpeter that supplies such things. Things like CGI are a little too trivial to have to have recompiled programs over and over again.

Also, it helps with little things. I have a small script to read a file that contains the times I'm online for each session I'm on, for I pay Internet by the minute. Its very simple, and trivial, so why do I have to resort to C for that? It works fine for me, and is hecka easier to modify when simple things like the rate changes or my maximum hours change.

Scripts are for simple things, although a language chalked full of libraries can almost do near important things. If you think it doesn't make sense to use it commercially, why not include the engine with your software? I don't think you need a license for that...I think...

well, Im actually focused on other things now, so I can really write elegantly, so, I'll have to talk to you later.

nice talking
    {2}rIng