memset arguments - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

memset arguments

istrasciistrasci Posts: 107Member
memset has the signature

[code]void *memset(void *s, int c, size_t n);[/code]

Anyone know what happens if you call it this way??

[code]memset([size=3][blue]NULL[/blue][/size], , );[/code]

I'm wondering if sees the NULL and then knows not to do anything (like a no-op) or if it will crash/something-else because it's trying to access the NULL... Or is the whole situation just undefined...???

I can't find any documentation or examples that tells what happens in this case... Of course I could write a quick test program, but it would be platform-specific, and I want to know if there is a standard definition of this behaviour... My point is, I have a lot of code to zero out a structure tree with lots of pointers, and I'm hoping there's some way that it will be smart and do a no-op... Otherwise, everywhere I could potentially have a NULL pointer, I'm going to have to go add

[code][red]if (ptr)[/red]
memset(ptr, 0, );[/code]

And I really don't want to have to do that...

TIA

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    The standards doesn't say what happens, so I guess it is undefined behavior.

http://www.sics.se/~pd/ISO-C-FDIS.1999-04.pdf

• Gregry2Gregry2 Posts: 607Member
    try it! ^^ close all ur programs and do it....

I just did, it crashes...

so just be careful wiht it....

yeah
    {2}rIng

• DB1DB1 Posts: 1,142Member
    : memset has the signature
    :
    : [code]void *memset(void *s, int c, size_t n);[/code]
    :
    :
    : Anyone know what happens if you call it this way??
    :
    : [code]memset([size=3][blue]NULL[/blue][/size], , );[/code]
    :
    : I'm wondering if sees the NULL and then knows not to do anything (like a no-op) or if it will crash/something-else because it's trying to access the NULL... Or is the whole situation just undefined...???
    :
    : I can't find any documentation or examples that tells what happens in this case... Of course I could write a quick test program, but it would be platform-specific, and I want to know if there is a standard definition of this behaviour... My point is, I have a lot of code to zero out a structure tree with lots of pointers, and I'm hoping there's some way that it will be smart and do a no-op... Otherwise, everywhere I could potentially have a NULL pointer, I'm going to have to go add
    :
    : [code][red]if (ptr)[/red]
    : memset(ptr, 0, );[/code]
    :
    : And I really don't want to have to do that...
    :
    : TIA
    :

You should always initialize pointers, and always check them before you use them. Get yourself in the habit of doing that and save yourself lots of time later.

[italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    [blue]DB1 - it may be the nature of a code to keep some NULLs in some places - NEEDED NULLs.

I think it may be the compiler specific - some compilers may check for NULL inside memset. However, this function very often inlined and such check may not be possible.[/blue]