Winsock problem: My computer has two IPs!!! - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Winsock problem: My computer has two IPs!!!

Hello,

I am trying to send emails from visual basic (vb6 sp6). The problem is that my pc has two ip addresses (one ip is for a control network and the other one is for the internet connection) and the winsock is using the wrong one (the one for the control network). How can I force the winsock control to use the internet ip address in order to avoid connection problems? I am using the mswinsck.ocx control.

here is my code:

mvarWinsock.RemoteHost = mvarSmtpServer
mvarWinsock.RemotePort = 25
mvarWinsock.Protocol = sckTCPProtocol
mvarWinsock.Connect

When i take a look at the LocalIP property i can see that it is set to the control network ip.

can someone help me please?

Thanks in advance.

John

Comments

• luckyumerluckyumer Posts: 21Member
    Hey Dear,
    If you would connect to a remote server in a LAN, your local LAN IP address will be used and
    if the remote server is on the Internet,
    your Internet IP will be used
    Umer Saleem
    Lahore - Pakistan
    [email protected]
    Mob: 0092 321 4257504

• lionblionb Posts: 1,688Member ✭✭
    [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2005-9-30 4:57:26[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hello,
    :
    : I am trying to send emails from visual basic (vb6 sp6). The problem is that my pc has two ip addresses (one ip is for a control network and the other one is for the internet connection) and the winsock is using the wrong one (the one for the control network). How can I force the winsock control to use the internet ip address in order to avoid connection problems? I am using the mswinsck.ocx control.
    :
    : here is my code:
    :
    : mvarWinsock.RemoteHost = mvarSmtpServer
    [blue]To specify a remote host, you can use either the IP address (ex: "121.111.1.1") or the computer's "friendly" name, as shown here.
    [b]mvarWinsock.RemoteHost = "121.111.1.1"[/b]
    or
    [b]mvarWinsock.RemoteHost = "RemoteComputerName"[/b]
    [/blue]
    : mvarWinsock.RemotePort = 25
    : mvarWinsock.Protocol = sckTCPProtocol
    : mvarWinsock.Connect
    :
    : When i take a look at the LocalIP property i can see that it is set to the control network ip.
    :
    : can someone help me please?
    :
    : Thanks in advance.
    :
    : John
    :

• John VargasJohn Vargas Posts: 34Member
    Hi,

I am using the IP for the SMTP server and the port is 25 (for SMTP).

Let me give you an example:

The IP #1 (used for the control LAN) is 192.12.1.16 and the IP #2 used for the internet is the 10.35.1.85. The SMPT server IP is 10.35.1.71, then:

winsock1.RemoteHost="10.35.1.71"
    winsock1.RemotePort=25
    winsock1.Connect

but when I read the LocalIP property after the Connect command it has the value "192.12.1.16" . If it were pointing to the right network (Internet) it should be set to "10.35.1.85" instead.

I can not set the LocalIP property directly because it is read only, nor I can use the Bind method because I am using TCP protocol.

Any other idea please?

Thanks...John

: [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2005-9-30 4:57:26[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hello,
    : :
    : : I am trying to send emails from visual basic (vb6 sp6). The problem is that my pc has two ip addresses (one ip is for a control network and the other one is for the internet connection) and the winsock is using the wrong one (the one for the control network). How can I force the winsock control to use the internet ip address in order to avoid connection problems? I am using the mswinsck.ocx control.
    : : here is my code:
    : : mvarWinsock.RemoteHost = mvarSmtpServer
    : [blue]To specify a remote host, you can use either the IP address (ex: "121.111.1.1") or the computer's "friendly" name, as shown here.
    : [b]mvarWinsock.RemoteHost = "121.111.1.1"[/b]
    : or
    : [b]mvarWinsock.RemoteHost = "RemoteComputerName"[/b]
    : [/blue]
    : : mvarWinsock.RemotePort = 25
    : : mvarWinsock.Protocol = sckTCPProtocol
    : : mvarWinsock.Connect
    : : When i take a look at the LocalIP property i can see that it is set to the control network ip.
    : : can someone help me please?
    : : Thanks in advance.
    : : John
    :
    :
    :
    :