Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

portable graphic library???

Hy,
Is there a library for graphics, 2d graphics and very easy to use , something for beginers like me.I am using linux slackware (os) and i want to make some games maybe in console.
The proble with the linux console is that I don't know how to move the cursor, like in windows( there is no conio.h in gnu c++).
So, if you know some libs or the "iostream" way of moving the cursor in the console or maybe a link to something, please post.
ps: i dont need openGL ,is toooo big for me & I don't know GUI programming
:-)

Comments

• MT2002MT2002 Member Posts: 1,444
    [b][red]This message was edited by MT2002 at 2005-9-24 19:36:47[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hy,
    : Is there a library for graphics, 2d graphics and very easy to use , something for beginers like me.I am using linux slackware (os) and i want to make some games maybe in console.
    : The proble with the linux console is that I don't know how to move the cursor, like in windows( there is no conio.h in gnu c++).
    : So, if you know some libs or the "iostream" way of moving the cursor in the console or maybe a link to something, please post.
    : ps: i dont need openGL ,is toooo big for me & I don't know GUI programming
    : :-)
    :
    [blue]
    Did you try SDL? SDL uses Direct3d/ OpenGL--hides
    them in a nice 2d graphics library. Its portable
    in this way, but isnt very powerful. If you are
    looking for power-OpenGL is the way to go. Else,
    SDL might be what you want.

SDL is only portable to Windows/*nix/And I think Mac.
    There is no "all powerful" portable graphics lib, because
    it is system/platform specific.
    [/blue]

[blue]

Oh..and SDL hides Win32/*nix GUI stuff, so you dont
    need to know it--so its all good :-)
    [/blue]

• bluecorebluecore Member Posts: 34
    : [b][red]This message was edited by MT2002 at 2005-9-24 19:36:47[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hy,
    : : Is there a library for graphics, 2d graphics and very easy to use , something for beginers like me.I am using linux slackware (os) and i want to make some games maybe in console.
    : : The proble with the linux console is that I don't know how to move the cursor, like in windows( there is no conio.h in gnu c++).
    : : So, if you know some libs or the "iostream" way of moving the cursor in the console or maybe a link to something, please post.
    : : ps: i dont need openGL ,is toooo big for me & I don't know GUI programming
    : : :-)
    : :
    : [blue]
    : Did you try SDL? SDL uses Direct3d/ OpenGL--hides
    : them in a nice 2d graphics library. Its portable
    : in this way, but isnt very powerful. If you are
    : looking for power-OpenGL is the way to go. Else,
    : SDL might be what you want.
    :
    : SDL is only portable to Windows/*nix/And I think Mac.
    : There is no "all powerful" portable graphics lib, because
    : it is system/platform specific.
    : [/blue]
    :
    : [blue]
    :
    : Oh..and SDL hides Win32/*nix GUI stuff, so you dont
    : need to know it--so its all good :-)
    : [/blue]
    :
    :
    SDL??
    I did't used it but I tried the best rpg free game on linux build in it
    and I sawed what is capaple of.I think that I'll handle openGL with baby steps and I heard of something called GLUT ( GL utility toolkit) and so I can make something in gui programming & open gl, maybe the GLUT is portable enought( i think it works in win too).
  • MT2002MT2002 Member Posts: 1,444
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by MT2002 at 2005-9-24 19:36:47[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Hy,
    : : : Is there a library for graphics, 2d graphics and very easy to use , something for beginers like me.I am using linux slackware (os) and i want to make some games maybe in console.
    : : : The proble with the linux console is that I don't know how to move the cursor, like in windows( there is no conio.h in gnu c++).
    : : : So, if you know some libs or the "iostream" way of moving the cursor in the console or maybe a link to something, please post.
    : : : ps: i dont need openGL ,is toooo big for me & I don't know GUI programming
    : : : :-)
    : : :
    : : [blue]
    : : Did you try SDL? SDL uses Direct3d/ OpenGL--hides
    : : them in a nice 2d graphics library. Its portable
    : : in this way, but isnt very powerful. If you are
    : : looking for power-OpenGL is the way to go. Else,
    : : SDL might be what you want.
    : : SDL is only portable to Windows/*nix/And I think Mac.
    : : There is no "all powerful" portable graphics lib, because
    : : it is system/platform specific.
    : : [/blue]
    : : [blue]
    : : Oh..and SDL hides Win32/*nix GUI stuff, so you dont
    : : need to know it--so its all good :-)
    : : [/blue]
    : SDL??
    : I did't used it but I tried the best rpg free game on linux build in it
    [blue]Not sure what you mean..[/blue]
    : and I sawed what is capaple of.I think that I'll handle openGL with baby steps and I heard of something called GLUT ( GL utility toolkit) and so I can make something in gui programming & open gl, maybe the GLUT is portable enought( i think it works in win too).
    :
    [blue]
    GLUT is actually an extension of OpenGL
    (GLUT="Open[b]GL U[/b]tility [b]T[/b]oolkit"),so, yeah-its
    portable. GLUT wraps up Win32/Linux stuff (like SDL) over
    OpenGL, so you dont need to.

Of course, glut is still only as portable as OpenGL,
    but has all the power of OpenGL.[/blue]