Converting a string to pchar - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Converting a string to pchar

I'm using Delphi 4 (can't afford to upgrade) and I'm making a simple program that runs an external program with paramaters provided by the user. The problem is that the paramaters provided by the user are strings but WinExec needs a PChar. Can anyone tell me how I can get WinExec to accept a string or how I can convert the string into a PChar? Or perhaps another way of executing an external program which would accept a string? I've tried ShellExec which I saw mentioned in another post here but it doesn't work. It doesn't seem to recognize it.

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I'm using Delphi 4 (can't afford to upgrade) and I'm making a simple program that runs an external program with paramaters provided by the user. The problem is that the paramaters provided by the user are strings but WinExec needs a PChar. Can anyone tell me how I can get WinExec to accept a string or how I can convert the string into a PChar? Or perhaps another way of executing an external program which would accept a string? I've tried ShellExec which I saw mentioned in another post here but it doesn't work. It doesn't seem to recognize it.
    :
    ShellExec() is defined in the ShellApi unit. As for converting a string to a pchar (null-terminated string), see the StrPCopy() function. It is well described in the helpfiles.
  • UlvertUlvert Posts: 58Member
    : I'm using Delphi 4 (can't afford to upgrade) and I'm making a simple program that runs an external program with paramaters provided by the user. The problem is that the paramaters provided by the user are strings but WinExec needs a PChar. Can anyone tell me how I can get WinExec to accept a string or how I can convert the string into a PChar? Or perhaps another way of executing an external program which would accept a string? I've tried ShellExec which I saw mentioned in another post here but it doesn't work. It doesn't seem to recognize it.
    :

I usually just typecast and have never seen any problems with that
    ex.
    MyStr : String;
    MyPChr : PChar;

MyPChr := PChar(MyStr);

Good luck!
    //Ulvert

• KoppisKoppis Posts: 68Member
    : : I'm using Delphi 4 (can't afford to upgrade) and I'm making a simple program that runs an external program with paramaters provided by the user. The problem is that the paramaters provided by the user are strings but WinExec needs a PChar. Can anyone tell me how I can get WinExec to accept a string or how I can convert the string into a PChar? Or perhaps another way of executing an external program which would accept a string? I've tried ShellExec which I saw mentioned in another post here but it doesn't work. It doesn't seem to recognize it.
    : :
    :
    : I usually just typecast and have never seen any problems with that
    : ex.
    : MyStr : String;
    : MyPChr : PChar;
    :
    : MyPChr := PChar(MyStr);
    :
    : Good luck!
    : //Ulvert
    :

I typecast too. If I have understood right, PChar= Pointer to Character array's first letter. So I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Don't know if "MyPChr := MyStr[ 1 ];" would do the same trick, haven't tested.
  • theofilustheofilus Posts: 2Member
    Thank you for your responses. I got it working now.

: : : I'm using Delphi 4 (can't afford to upgrade) and I'm making a simple program that runs an external program with paramaters provided by the user. The problem is that the paramaters provided by the user are strings but WinExec needs a PChar. Can anyone tell me how I can get WinExec to accept a string or how I can convert the string into a PChar? Or perhaps another way of executing an external program which would accept a string? I've tried ShellExec which I saw mentioned in another post here but it doesn't work. It doesn't seem to recognize it.
    : : :
    : : I usually just typecast and have never seen any problems with that
    : : ex.
    : : MyStr : String;
    : : MyPChr : PChar;
    : : MyPChr := PChar(MyStr);
    : : Good luck!
    : : //Ulvert
    :
    : I typecast too. If I have understood right, PChar= Pointer to Character array's first letter. So I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Don't know if "MyPChr := MyStr[ 1 ];" would do the same trick, haven't tested.
    :
    A PChar is a pointer to a block of memory, which ends with a #0 character and is handled as a string. The code you gave, will/might not work for 2 reasons:
    1: MyPChr isn't a pointer but a char. This should be:
    [code]
    MyPChr := @MyStr[1];
    [/code]
    2: MyStr might not terminate in a #0 character.
    : : I'm using Delphi 4 (can't afford to upgrade) and I'm making a simple program that runs an external program with paramaters provided by the user. The problem is that the paramaters provided by the user are strings but WinExec needs a PChar. Can anyone tell me how I can get WinExec to accept a string or how I can convert the string into a PChar? Or perhaps another way of executing an external program which would accept a string? I've tried ShellExec which I saw mentioned in another post here but it doesn't work. It doesn't seem to recognize it.
    :
    : I usually just typecast and have never seen any problems with that
    : ex.
    : MyStr : String;
    : MyPChr : PChar;
    :
    : MyPChr := PChar(MyStr);
    :
    : Good luck!
    : //Ulvert
    :
    :
    Type-casting will not work if the program is compiled in the $H- mode. Then you need to use the "pascal string"-"null-terminated string" conversion functions.
  • specijalacspecijalac Posts: 1Member
    :

You can use copy function COPY(STRING_VAR,NO_OF_LETTERS,N_FROM_WHICH_LETTER) ;
    for example p:=Copy(SWord,1,1) - p is string variable and it contains 1st letter of SWord string var :) Cheers!
    :
    : You can use copy function COPY(STRING_VAR,NO_OF_LETTERS,N_FROM_WHICH_LETTER) ;
    : for example p:=Copy(SWord,1,1) - p is string variable and it contains 1st letter of SWord string var :) Cheers!
    :
    This won't work, because theofilus needs a PChar variable not a string variable.