Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Create Access database on the backend of Excel

ranravianranravian Member Posts: 20
i recently graduated and am now working as a data analyst. Can someone please help me figure out how to build access on the backend of an existing excel workbook. i have read step by step and inside out. no solution is in there.

i don't want to change the format user are used to.

is this even possible.

please, please, help!

Comments

• aatkbdaatkbd Member Posts: 42
    As I understand it, you want to use an excel file as a data entry form into an access database. I'm afraid there is no good way of doing this. The easiest way is to duplicate the excel format in an access form to make the transition easier. Another way is to use vba to import the information from an excel file into access.

The second solution is not easy. If you are interested in this method then let me know and I will help you figure out the best way to do it.

: i recently graduated and am now working as a data analyst. Can someone please help me figure out how to build access on the backend of an existing excel workbook. i have read step by step and inside out. no solution is in there.
    :
    : i don't want to change the format user are used to.
    :
    : is this even possible.
    :
    : please, please, help!
    :

• ranravianranravian Member Posts: 20
    [b][red]This message was edited by ranravian at 2005-9-28 8:12:48[/red][/b][hr]
    Hi,
    Thank You for replying. I have actually decided that SQL would be more stable.
    I need the excel workbooks to be web enabled. My plan is to figure out how to do that and dump the data entered in the web form into a SQL database. I want to use crystal reports to format the data and produce my reports.

I know I need something in between the web server and Sql server, but I'm not sure what driver I need. The IS dept's web server is using IIS so I could go with ASP, but they don't know it and neither do I.

I am reading up on SQL Server and how to use it, researching this problem to formulate the best way to handle it. This is my first job out of college and I want to make a good impression. I know Access but not SQL.

I appreciate your willingness to help me and don't want to be spoonfed. If need you to point me in the right direction and help me understand how to make this work, if at all possible.

Thanks!!!!!!

: As I understand it, you want to use an excel file as a data entry form into an access database. I'm afraid there is no good way of doing this. The easiest way is to duplicate the excel format in an access form to make the transition easier. Another way is to use vba to import the information from an excel file into access.
    :
    : The second solution is not easy. If you are interested in this method then let me know and I will help you figure out the best way to do it.
    :
    : : i recently graduated and am now working as a data analyst. Can someone please help me figure out how to build access on the backend of an existing excel workbook. i have read step by step and inside out. no solution is in there.
    : :
    : : i don't want to change the format user are used to.
    : : is this even possible.
    : : please, please, help!
    :
    :

• aatkbdaatkbd Member Posts: 42
    I would pick up an o'reilly book on SQL. that should help learn SQL. you can also make your queries in Access and then view the SQL.

ASP is just and extended VB language. As long as you know VB you should easily pick up ASP. another book from o'reilly should help you pick up the extra syntax in ASP. the book should also document how to connect to a database.

I would start by pick up the book and then start to plan your project. List what information you will need.

: [b][red]This message was edited by ranravian at 2005-9-28 8:12:48[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi,
    : Thank You for replying. I have actually decided that SQL would be more stable.
    : I need the excel workbooks to be web enabled. My plan is to figure out how to do that and dump the data entered in the web form into a SQL database. I want to use crystal reports to format the data and produce my reports.
    :
    : I know I need something in between the web server and Sql server, but I'm not sure what driver I need. The IS dept's web server is using IIS so I could go with ASP, but they don't know it and neither do I.
    :
    : I am reading up on SQL Server and how to use it, researching this problem to formulate the best way to handle it. This is my first job out of college and I want to make a good impression. I know Access but not SQL.
    :
    : I appreciate your willingness to help me and don't want to be spoonfed. If need you to point me in the right direction and help me understand how to make this work, if at all possible.
    :
    : Thanks!!!!!!
    :