Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

need advice on embedded c programming

hello

i am a beginner to the feild of embedded systems. id like 2 get some advice on how and where i should be starting. i am presently studyin embedded c programming. should i also study somethings on 8051 microcontroller ? plz help

regards
sreehari

Comments

• LundinLundin Member Posts: 3,711
    : hello
    :
    : i am a beginner to the feild of embedded systems. id like 2 get some advice on how and where i should be starting. i am presently studyin embedded c programming. should i also study somethings on 8051 microcontroller ? plz help
    :
    : regards
    : sreehari
    :

C programming is rather similar on all MCUs. The most common differences between them are those parts that goes outside the C standard, for example memory allocation, interrupts and inline assembler.

I suggest that you start on the least complicated 8-bit micro you can find. Most of them have free development tools available. Which one you choose is up to you, 8051 is very common in the industry, but it is also know as the least efficient one of them all.

Sence I'm of the Motorola side of things, I would personally recommend the HC08. There is a good compiler from www.metrowerks.com available for it. Free if you stay below 32 files and 16K of code, or something like that.