Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

2 Problems - Pulling Records and Displaying Results in ComboBox

chip050555chip050555 Posts: 32Member
I am trying to look up and fill a datatable based on a parameter in a textbox. The code looks right however when I execute it does not find any records and goes to my trap to add new records. Additionally, since there may be several rows of data associated with each "workorder" I need to display the infomation in combo boxes. I can fill the combobox with the first record, but how do I fill it with each occurance. This program will be made into an executable file and placed an numerous machines for use.

[code]
Private Sub btnLook_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnLook.Click
Dim DT As New DataTable()
'Dim x As Exception
Dim DbCon As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source = Q:Kit.mdb")
Dim DbCmd As New OleDbCommand()
Dim DbSQL As String
Dim i As Integer
DbCon.Open()
[red]DbSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblqty WHERE WorkOrder = "" & txtWorkOrder.Text & """[/red]
Dim tblData As New OleDbDataAdapter(DbSQL, DbCon)
g_tblData = tblData
Try
DT.Clear()
tblData.Fill(DT)

Catch ex As Exception
MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
End Try
g_DT = DT
Dim DTcmd As New OleDbCommandBuilder(tblData)
Dim Found As Boolean = False
For i = 0 To (DT.Rows.Count - 1)
If DT.Rows(i)("WorkOrder").Equals(Convert.ToString(txtWorkOrder.Text)) Then
Found = True
txtQty.Text = Convert.ToString(DT.Rows(i)("Qty"))
cmbTopAssy.DataSource = DT
cmbTopAssy.DisplayMember.Equals("topassy")
cmbTopAssy.Text = Convert.ToString(DT.Rows(i)("topassy"))
txtTopAssy.Text = Convert.ToString(DT.Rows(i)("topassy"))
cmbSubAssy1.DataSource = DT
cmbSubAssy1.DisplayMember.Equals("subassy1")
cmbSubAssy1.Text = Convert.ToString(DT.Rows(i)("subassy1"))
txtSubAssy1.Text = Convert.ToString(DT.Rows(i)("subassy1"))
cmbSubAssy2.DataSource = DT
cmbSubAssy2.DisplayMember.Equals("subassy2")
cmbSubAssy2.Text = Convert.ToString(DT.Rows(i)("subassy2"))
txtSubAssy2.Text = Convert.ToString(DT.Rows(i)("subassy2"))
End If
g_i = i
Next i

If Found = False Then
MessageBox.Show("Record not found. Please add a new record.")
End If
DbCon.Close()
End Sub
[/code]

Comments

• digitalgeekdigitalgeek Posts: 59Member
    [code]

[red]DbSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblqty WHERE WorkOrder = "" & txtWorkOrder.Text & """[/red]
    [/code]

this first thing I would try is to remove youe extra quotes from this line...

[code]

[red]DbSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblqty WHERE WorkOrder = "[/red][blue]"[/blue] [red]& txtWorkOrder.Text[/red] [blue]& """[/blue]
    [/code]

new line...

[code]

[red]DbSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblqty WHERE WorkOrder = " & txtWorkOrder.Text[/red]
    [/code]

• chip050555chip050555 Posts: 32Member
    : [code]
    :
    : [red]DbSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblqty WHERE WorkOrder = "" & txtWorkOrder.Text & """[/red]
    : [/code]
    :
    : this first thing I would try is to remove youe extra quotes from this line...
    :
    :
    : [red]DbSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblqty WHERE WorkOrder = "[/red][blue]"[/blue] [red]& txtWorkOrder.Text[/red] [blue]& """[/blue]
    :
    : new line...
    :
    :
    : [red]DbSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblqty WHERE WorkOrder = " & txtWorkOrder.Text[/red]
    :
    :
    I tried to remove the quotes along with other suggestions and now I get an Exception error
    [code]
    Private DbSQl As String = "SELECT workorder, qty, topassy, subassy1, subassy2, datestamp FROM tblQty WHERE WorkOrder = '" & txtWorkOrder.Text & "'"
    [/code]

[blue]An unhandled exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in Kit.exe

Additional information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.[/blue]

• digitalgeekdigitalgeek Posts: 59Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by digitalgeek at 2005-9-21 1:17:53[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by digitalgeek at 2005-9-20 18:15:3[/red][/b][hr]
    try this change to the SQL commands...

[code]
    Private Sub btnLook_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnLook.Click
    Dim ds As new DataSet
    Dim DbCon As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source = Q:Kit.mdb")
    [red] Dim DbSQL As StringDbSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblqty WHERE WorkOrder = '" & txtWorkOrder.Text & "'"
    Dim DbCmd As New OleDbCommand(DbSQL, DbCon)

Dim tblData As New OleDbDataAdapter
    tbldata.SelectCommand = DbCmd[/red]
    Try

tblData.Fill(ds)

Catch ex As Exception
    MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
    End Try

[/code]

when you reference the table you can reference it as:

ds.tables(0).rows("row no")("field name").tostring()