playsound won't play 24-bit wave file - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

playsound won't play 24-bit wave file

katmankatman Posts: 24Member
Recently I replaced a 16-bit Soundblaster LIVE card with a 24-bit Audigy LS. I am trying to upgrade my MS C++ program to create a 24-bit wave image in memory and play it, but I get nothing out. Previously, my program created a 16-bit image and played this fine. If I restrict the modified code back to 16-bit, it plays fine. If I write out the 24-bit wave image to a file, Sound Forge can play this file. If I create a 24-bit wave file in Sound Forge, it has exactly the same waveheader as the wave image my program creates. I can't figure out what my program is doing wrong. Is there some other setup function I need to call to get the Audigy to play 24-bit? Is there some option in e.g., the mixer that I need to set?

Bob

(Win2K on a Dell Precision 340)

Comments

• katmankatman Posts: 24Member
    Playsound is limited to 16 bits.

: Recently I replaced a 16-bit Soundblaster LIVE card with a 24-bit Audigy LS. I am trying to upgrade my MS C++ program to create a 24-bit wave image in memory and play it, but I get nothing out...
    :