playsound won't play 24-bit wave file - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

playsound won't play 24-bit wave file

katmankatman Posts: 24Member
Recently I replaced a 16-bit Soundblaster LIVE card with a 24-bit Audigy LS. I am trying to upgrade my MS C++ program to create a 24-bit wave image in memory and play it, but I get nothing out. Previously, my program created a 16-bit image and played this fine. If I restrict the modified code back to 16-bit, it plays fine. If I write out the 24-bit wave image to a file, Sound Forge can play this file. If I create a 24-bit wave file in Sound Forge, it has exactly the same waveheader as the wave image my program creates. I can't figure out what my program is doing wrong. Is there some other setup function I need to call to get the Audigy to play 24-bit? Is there some option in e.g., the mixer that I need to set?

Bob

(Win2K on a Dell Precision 340)

Comments