Simple Problem - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Simple Problem

rohit2383rohit2383 Posts: 80Member ✭✭
This is probably too simple a problem but I am not able to find any
answers to it.
I was having an instant conversation with somebody using yahoo
messenger but could not ping to that persons machine and neither could
he ping to mine, is this possible? And if it is please tell me how to
solve this problem?
Thanks a lot
Rohit

Comments

• DB1DB1 Posts: 1,142Member
    : This is probably too simple a problem but I am not able to find any
    : answers to it.
    : I was having an instant conversation with somebody using yahoo
    : messenger but could not ping to that persons machine and neither could
    : he ping to mine, is this possible? And if it is please tell me how to
    : solve this problem?
    : Thanks a lot
    : Rohit
    :
    :
    :
    :

If someone is using a router or other firewall that blocks echo requests then it is not possible to ping their machine.

The firewall needs to be configured to accept echo requests.

[italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

• rohit2383rohit2383 Posts: 80Member ✭✭
    : : This is probably too simple a problem but I am not able to find any
    : : answers to it.
    : : I was having an instant conversation with somebody using yahoo
    : : messenger but could not ping to that persons machine and neither could
    : : he ping to mine, is this possible? And if it is please tell me how to
    : : solve this problem?
    : : Thanks a lot
    : : Rohit
    : :
    :
    : If someone is using a router or other firewall that blocks echo requests then it is not possible to ping their machine.
    :
    : The firewall needs to be configured to accept echo requests.
    :
    :
    : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :
    Thanks a lot. I keep getting a message "request timed out". Is this because of a firewall, and if there is some other reason then please tell me about it.
    Thanks a lot
    Rohit
    : : : This is probably too simple a problem but I am not able to find any
    : : : answers to it.
    : : : I was having an instant conversation with somebody using yahoo
    : : : messenger but could not ping to that persons machine and neither could
    : : : he ping to mine, is this possible? And if it is please tell me how to
    : : : solve this problem?
    : : : Thanks a lot
    : : : Rohit
    : : :
    : : If someone is using a router or other firewall that blocks echo requests then it is not possible to ping their machine.
    : : The firewall needs to be configured to accept echo requests.
    : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : Thanks a lot. I keep getting a message "request timed out". Is this because of a firewall, and if there is some other reason then please tell me about it.
    :

Most likely a firewall.
    [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

: : : : This is probably too simple a problem but I am not able to find any
    : : : : answers to it.
    : : : : I was having an instant conversation with somebody using yahoo
    : : : : messenger but could not ping to that persons machine and neither could
    : : : : he ping to mine, is this possible? And if it is please tell me how to
    : : : : solve this problem?
    : : : : Thanks a lot
    : : : : Rohit
    : : : :
    : : : If someone is using a router or other firewall that blocks echo requests then it is not possible to ping their machine.
    : : : The firewall needs to be configured to accept echo requests.
    : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : : Thanks a lot. I keep getting a message "request timed out". Is this because of a firewall, and if there is some other reason then please tell me about it.
    :
    :
    : Most likely a firewall.
    : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

: Actually I have made a simple program using winsock to send a message from one computer to another. The client sends a message and the server recieves it and displays it using a messagebox. My friends keep telling me that supplying the IP address is not enough as there are other issues such as subnets and gateways. But dosen't the socket interface take care of all this I ask this because there are no functions in sockets that take parameters such as subnet mask's and gateways etc. Any help would be gladly accepted
    Thanks
    Rohit
    :

: : : : : This is probably too simple a problem but I am not able to find any
    : : : : : answers to it.
    : : : : : I was having an instant conversation with somebody using yahoo
    : : : : : messenger but could not ping to that persons machine and neither could
    : : : : : he ping to mine, is this possible? And if it is please tell me how to
    : : : : : solve this problem?
    : : : : : Thanks a lot
    : : : : : Rohit
    : : : : :
    : : : : If someone is using a router or other firewall that blocks echo requests then it is not possible to ping their machine.
    : : : : The firewall needs to be configured to accept echo requests.
    : : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : : : Thanks a lot. I keep getting a message "request timed out". Is this because of a firewall, and if there is some other reason then please tell me about it.
    : : : Thanks a lot
    : : Most likely a firewall.
    : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    : : Actually I have made a simple program using winsock to send a message from one computer to another. The client sends a message and the server recieves it and displays it using a messagebox. My friends keep telling me that supplying the IP address is not enough as there are other issues such as subnets and gateways. But dosen't the socket interface take care of all this I ask this because there are no functions in sockets that take parameters such as subnet mask's and gateways etc. Any help would be gladly accepted
    : Thanks
    :
    :

Right, all you need to supply is an IP address and a port number.

If the receiving machine (the server) has a router/firewall, it needs to have the port open that you wish to use to listen for connection attempts from the client.

: : : : : : This is probably too simple a problem but I am not able to find any
    : : : : : : answers to it.
    : : : : : : I was having an instant conversation with somebody using yahoo
    : : : : : : messenger but could not ping to that persons machine and neither could
    : : : : : : he ping to mine, is this possible? And if it is please tell me how to
    : : : : : : solve this problem?
    : : : : : : Thanks a lot
    : : : : : : Rohit
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : If someone is using a router or other firewall that blocks echo requests then it is not possible to ping their machine.
    : : : : : The firewall needs to be configured to accept echo requests.
    : : : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : : : : Thanks a lot. I keep getting a message "request timed out". Is this because of a firewall, and if there is some other reason then please tell me about it.
    : : : : Thanks a lot
    : : : Most likely a firewall.
    : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : : : Actually I have made a simple program using winsock to send a message from one computer to another. The client sends a message and the server recieves it and displays it using a messagebox. My friends keep telling me that supplying the IP address is not enough as there are other issues such as subnets and gateways. But dosen't the socket interface take care of all this I ask this because there are no functions in sockets that take parameters such as subnet mask's and gateways etc. Any help would be gladly accepted
    : : Thanks
    :
    :
    : Right, all you need to supply is an IP address and a port number.
    :
    : If the receiving machine (the server) has a router/firewall, it needs to have the port open that you wish to use to listen for connection attempts from the client.
    :
    :
    :
    :So I was right all the way, thanks a lot and one more question is there a way to programmatically configure the firewall or router so that it lets packets of that are coming through my port pass through or will I have to manually configure the firewall or the router or are there some ports that are considered safe or are checked and if the packets are innocent enough they allow them to pass thrrough.
    Thanks a lot
    Rohit

: : : : : : : This is probably too simple a problem but I am not able to find any
    : : : : : : : answers to it.
    : : : : : : : I was having an instant conversation with somebody using yahoo
    : : : : : : : messenger but could not ping to that persons machine and neither could
    : : : : : : : he ping to mine, is this possible? And if it is please tell me how to
    : : : : : : : solve this problem?
    : : : : : : : Thanks a lot
    : : : : : : : Rohit
    : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : If someone is using a router or other firewall that blocks echo requests then it is not possible to ping their machine.
    : : : : : : The firewall needs to be configured to accept echo requests.
    : : : : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : : : : : Thanks a lot. I keep getting a message "request timed out". Is this because of a firewall, and if there is some other reason then please tell me about it.
    : : : : : Thanks a lot
    : : : : : Rohit
    : : : : Most likely a firewall.
    : : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : : : : Actually I have made a simple program using winsock to send a message from one computer to another. The client sends a message and the server recieves it and displays it using a messagebox. My friends keep telling me that supplying the IP address is not enough as there are other issues such as subnets and gateways. But dosen't the socket interface take care of all this I ask this because there are no functions in sockets that take parameters such as subnet mask's and gateways etc. Any help would be gladly accepted
    : : : Thanks
    : : Right, all you need to supply is an IP address and a port number.
    : : If the receiving machine (the server) has a router/firewall, it needs to have the port open that you wish to use to listen for connection attempts from the client.
    : :So I was right all the way, thanks a lot and one more question is there a way to programmatically configure the firewall or router so that it lets packets of that are coming through my port pass through or will I have to manually configure the firewall or the router or are there some ports that are considered safe or are checked and if the packets are innocent enough they allow them to pass thrrough.
    :
    :

Nope, there is no router config 'API' since all firewalls/routers are different and use their own interface, so you'll have to manually configure it.

Some firewall programs will alert you when a program is trying to access the outside world through some port and make it easy for you to allow it, but with most of them you are stuck doing your own port-forwarding.

: : : : : : : : This is probably too simple a problem but I am not able to find any
    : : : : : : : : answers to it.
    : : : : : : : : I was having an instant conversation with somebody using yahoo
    : : : : : : : : messenger but could not ping to that persons machine and neither could
    : : : : : : : : he ping to mine, is this possible? And if it is please tell me how to
    : : : : : : : : solve this problem?
    : : : : : : : : Thanks a lot
    : : : : : : : : Rohit
    : : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : : If someone is using a router or other firewall that blocks echo requests then it is not possible to ping their machine.
    : : : : : : : The firewall needs to be configured to accept echo requests.
    : : : : : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : : : : : : Thanks a lot. I keep getting a message "request timed out". Is this because of a firewall, and if there is some other reason then please tell me about it.
    : : : : : : Thanks a lot
    : : : : : : Rohit
    : : : : : Most likely a firewall.
    : : : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : : : : : Actually I have made a simple program using winsock to send a message from one computer to another. The client sends a message and the server recieves it and displays it using a messagebox. My friends keep telling me that supplying the IP address is not enough as there are other issues such as subnets and gateways. But dosen't the socket interface take care of all this I ask this because there are no functions in sockets that take parameters such as subnet mask's and gateways etc. Any help would be gladly accepted
    : : : : Thanks
    : : : Right, all you need to supply is an IP address and a port number.
    : : : If the receiving machine (the server) has a router/firewall, it needs to have the port open that you wish to use to listen for connection attempts from the client.
    : : :So I was right all the way, thanks a lot and one more question is there a way to programmatically configure the firewall or router so that it lets packets of that are coming through my port pass through or will I have to manually configure the firewall or the router or are there some ports that are considered safe or are checked and if the packets are innocent enough they allow them to pass thrrough.
    :
    :
    :
    : Nope, there is no router config 'API' since all firewalls/routers are different and use their own interface, so you'll have to manually configure it.
    :
    : Some firewall programs will alert you when a program is trying to access the outside world through some port and make it easy for you to allow it, but with most of them you are stuck doing your own port-forwarding.
    :
    :
    :
    : But I had read that all messengers such as yahoo and msn are built using soket programming. Then how do they get past this firewall problem cause they would be operating like this only.
    Rohit
    : : Some firewall programs will alert you when a program is trying to access the outside world through some port and make it easy for you to allow it, but with most of them you are stuck doing your own port-forwarding.
    : : But I had read that all messengers such as yahoo and msn are built using soket programming. Then how do they get past this firewall problem cause they would be operating like this only.
    :

Sorry, looks like what I typed there wasn't exactly what I meant.

If you are running a server, it's waiting for connections from the outside world. You will need to configure your firewall to allow connections on that port so your server can receive the incoming requests.

If you are running a client, it's initiating the connections to the outside world so most firewalls will simply let it work to make life easy for you. Some firewalls, like ZoneAlarm will alert you that some program on your computer is trying to access the outside world and give you an option to allow or deny it, but most simply allow it.

Yahoo and MSN are clients, not servers, so they can easily connect to the main server without any configuration by you most of the time. They can sometimes act as servers (during file transfer and direct-connect for example) and sometimes have problems with firewalls during those times.

: : : Some firewall programs will alert you when a program is trying to access the outside world through some port and make it easy for you to allow it, but with most of them you are stuck doing your own port-forwarding.
    : : : But I had read that all messengers such as yahoo and msn are built using soket programming. Then how do they get past this firewall problem cause they would be operating like this only.
    :
    : Sorry, looks like what I typed there wasn't exactly what I meant.
    :
    : If you are running a server, it's waiting for connections from the outside world. You will need to configure your firewall to allow connections on that port so your server can receive the incoming requests.
    :
    : If you are running a client, it's initiating the connections to the outside world so most firewalls will simply let it work to make life easy for you. Some firewalls, like ZoneAlarm will alert you that some program on your computer is trying to access the outside world and give you an option to allow or deny it, but most simply allow it.
    :
    :
    : Yahoo and MSN are clients, not servers, so they can easily connect to the main server without any configuration by you most of the time. They can sometimes act as servers (during file transfer and direct-connect for example) and sometimes have problems with firewalls during those times.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : Ok so just to be cler. If a socket program is running on a system behind a firewall then all the 'recv()' functions would work but none of the 'send' functions would work is that correct?