Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Accessing the serial port with Visual Basic using PORT95

matsrmatsr Posts: 3Member
From my Visual Basic program I have been using the PORT95 utility (available for example from http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone2/cat490/2884.htm)to access the PC parallel port by reading and writing registers $0378-$037A. Works fine!

The serial port is controlled by registers $03F8-$03FF. But these registers could not be accessed with PORT95! Reading the registers with PORT95 I always get $FF what obviously is wrong. For example $03FB-$03FF should be R/W but trying to modify one of these registers and then reading back, all with PORT95, I always get $FF.

How is this possible? If PORT95 cannot be used, how to access the serial port?

Comments

• sj_h1sj_h1 Posts: 79Member
    : From my Visual Basic program I have been using the PORT95 utility (available for example from http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone2/cat490/2884.htm)to access the PC parallel port by reading and writing registers $0378-$037A. Works fine!
    :
    : The serial port is controlled by registers $03F8-$03FF. But these registers could not be accessed with PORT95! Reading the registers with PORT95 I always get $FF what obviously is wrong. For example $03FB-$03FF should be R/W but trying to modify one of these registers and then reading back, all with PORT95, I always get $FF.
    :
    : How is this possible? If PORT95 cannot be used, how to access the serial port?
    :
    :
    :

Why not just use MSCOMM, thats what I use. It looks like a telephone in the componets side, because it was originally designed for Modem control over the rs232.