serial number - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

serial number

How can I insert a string as a resource in an application so I can modify that string for each copy of the application?Or how can I make a serial number sistem so that any copy of that application will have a diffrent serial numbers.

10x

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2005-8-28 6:8:42[/red][/b][hr]
    : How can I insert a string as a resource in an application so I can modify that string for each copy of the application?Or how can I make a serial number sistem so that any copy of that application will have a diffrent serial numbers.
    :
    : 10x
    :
    If you keep each serial number the same length, then you can directly modify the compiled application without problems. The easiest way is to create a constant to hold the serial value with a recognizable value. Then find that value in the compiled application using a HEX-editor. This gives you the location of the serial number. You could change the value manually (using the same editor), or you could write a program which copied the application and changes the serial for you.
    Many commercially available products use some kind of calculation to produce their serials. Here is a very simple example of such a system:
    Suppose your serial consists of 2 4-digit numbers. The sum of these two must be 7777. Now you can produce nearly any combination between those two, for example:
    [code]
    7777-0000
    1539-6238
    0861-6916
    6543-1234
    5322-2455
    etc.
    [/code]
    This is a very simple and insecure system, but it demonstrates how many possibilities there are. You could create a much more complex calculation for your own serial.
  • rajsharajsha Posts: 75Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2005-8-28 6:8:42[/red][/b][hr]
    : : How can I insert a string as a resource in an application so I can modify that string for each copy of the application?Or how can I make a serial number sistem so that any copy of that application will have a diffrent serial numbers.
    : :
    : : 10x
    : :
    : If you keep each serial number the same length, then you can directly modify the compiled application without problems. The easiest way is to create a constant to hold the serial value with a recognizable value. Then find that value in the compiled application using a HEX-editor. This gives you the location of the serial number. You could change the value manually (using the same editor), or you could write a program which copied the application and changes the serial for you.
    : Many commercially available products use some kind of calculation to produce their serials. Here is a very simple example of such a system:
    : Suppose your serial consists of 2 4-digit numbers. The sum of these two must be 7777. Now you can produce nearly any combination between those two, for example:
    : [code]
    : 7777-0000
    : 1539-6238
    : 0861-6916
    : 6543-1234
    : 5322-2455
    : etc.
    : [/code]
    : This is a very simple and insecure system, but it demonstrates how many possibilities there are. You could create a much more complex calculation for your own serial.
    :

Try REGWARE Components for Delphi. They are simple and easy to use and FREE and produce serial numbers based on the User's identification and unique app GUID which only u will know. They use the registry to store the values. You can even have trial periods for your app!