Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

serial number

How can I insert a string as a resource in an application so I can modify that string for each copy of the application?Or how can I make a serial number sistem so that any copy of that application will have a diffrent serial numbers.

10x

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2005-8-28 6:8:42[/red][/b][hr]
    : How can I insert a string as a resource in an application so I can modify that string for each copy of the application?Or how can I make a serial number sistem so that any copy of that application will have a diffrent serial numbers.
    :
    : 10x
    :
    If you keep each serial number the same length, then you can directly modify the compiled application without problems. The easiest way is to create a constant to hold the serial value with a recognizable value. Then find that value in the compiled application using a HEX-editor. This gives you the location of the serial number. You could change the value manually (using the same editor), or you could write a program which copied the application and changes the serial for you.
    Many commercially available products use some kind of calculation to produce their serials. Here is a very simple example of such a system:
    Suppose your serial consists of 2 4-digit numbers. The sum of these two must be 7777. Now you can produce nearly any combination between those two, for example:
    [code]
    7777-0000
    1539-6238
    0861-6916
    6543-1234
    5322-2455
    etc.
    [/code]
    This is a very simple and insecure system, but it demonstrates how many possibilities there are. You could create a much more complex calculation for your own serial.
  • rajsharajsha Posts: 75Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2005-8-28 6:8:42[/red][/b][hr]
    : : How can I insert a string as a resource in an application so I can modify that string for each copy of the application?Or how can I make a serial number sistem so that any copy of that application will have a diffrent serial numbers.
    : :
    : : 10x
    : :
    : If you keep each serial number the same length, then you can directly modify the compiled application without problems. The easiest way is to create a constant to hold the serial value with a recognizable value. Then find that value in the compiled application using a HEX-editor. This gives you the location of the serial number. You could change the value manually (using the same editor), or you could write a program which copied the application and changes the serial for you.
    : Many commercially available products use some kind of calculation to produce their serials. Here is a very simple example of such a system:
    : Suppose your serial consists of 2 4-digit numbers. The sum of these two must be 7777. Now you can produce nearly any combination between those two, for example:
    : [code]
    : 7777-0000
    : 1539-6238
    : 0861-6916
    : 6543-1234
    : 5322-2455
    : etc.
    : [/code]
    : This is a very simple and insecure system, but it demonstrates how many possibilities there are. You could create a much more complex calculation for your own serial.
    :

Try REGWARE Components for Delphi. They are simple and easy to use and FREE and produce serial numbers based on the User's identification and unique app GUID which only u will know. They use the registry to store the values. You can even have trial periods for your app!