how do i restrict my users from using my software illegally - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

how do i restrict my users from using my software illegally

b_ahmed_mdb_ahmed_md Posts: 17Member
hi all,

i want my software can be available to few of the users those who got the key. and one more thing is that depending on the key values too, the menu activation depends. i mean for a key value they may use the software for just evaluation. if they give some other key they will get some deepest level of software accessing and so on...

one more problem is that the software should work for limited executions or for the limited time period.

Is there any control or dll to do so. or is there any other method to do so.

please help. ur suggestions and replys will be appreciable and encouragable.

Thank u.

regards,
Sheerprogrammer.

Comments

• foxhound_okifoxhound_oki Posts: 2Member
    hey....

im sean from Foxhound Software and Services and i ran into the same issue. I designed my own program to limit user access with out the license key. If you don't have the license key u enter "demo" for it and it makes the program limited by ur choice using code. let me know if u want to add this to ur projects, i can work something out for u.

Sean Fox
    Foxhound Software and Services
    [email protected]
  • b_ahmed_mdb_ahmed_md Posts: 17Member
    hi,

thank u very much for ur reply. yes i do try out once. but the problem is our project manager doesnt want that key to be worked for more than one user. is it possible to do so. coz we directly give the setup file to them. i supposed to write that in the code with out any software. but the problem is for each user i need to compile my code with new registration (Key). This is not fair and my project manager doesnt want to do so (ReCompilation and Package developement).

Any way if possible may i see ur application once.

Thanking u.

regards,
    SheerProgrammer.

: hey....
    :
    : im sean from Foxhound Software and Services and i ran into the same issue. I designed my own program to limit user access with out the license key. If you don't have the license key u enter "demo" for it and it makes the program limited by ur choice using code. let me know if u want to add this to ur projects, i can work something out for u.
    :
    : Sean Fox
    : Foxhound Software and Services
    : [email protected]
    :

• melissa_may1melissa_may1 Posts: 937Member
    Hi!

Well, you've encountered the age-old problem- how to stop software theft!

There are a number of ways to do this, but none are perfect. No method will stop somebody who wants to "crack" your program from doing so.

The best you can hope for is to make the "crack" more difficult than it's worth. If you can build some added value into your product (regular upgrades, customer support, monthly payments) then you'll effectively stop piracy, and get a decent return on your investment.

What type of product are you trying to protect? What price will it sell for?

The answer to these questions will tend to point you in the right direction.

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• b_ahmed_mdb_ahmed_md Posts: 17Member
    Hi,

Thank u very much for ur reply. i am still trying for a new technique. once i came to know about a software for serial keys (I forgot the name of the software). as per that i am planning to go for security. i try to make my application some what hard to crack.

regards,
    sheerprogrammer.

Once again thank u for ur reply.

: Hi!
    :
    : Well, you've encountered the age-old problem- how to stop software theft!
    :
    : There are a number of ways to do this, but none are perfect. No method will stop somebody who wants to "crack" your program from doing so.
    :
    : The best you can hope for is to make the "crack" more difficult than it's worth. If you can build some added value into your product (regular upgrades, customer support, monthly payments) then you'll effectively stop piracy, and get a decent return on your investment.
    :
    : What type of product are you trying to protect? What price will it sell for?
    :
    : The answer to these questions will tend to point you in the right direction.
    :
    :
    : [purple]Melissa[/purple]
    :
    :

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    The easiest answer to this question is simply to not restrict them from using it at all.

Think about it.

:-)

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• Scottg1989Scottg1989 Posts: 6Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Scottg1989 at 2006-3-13 7:14:51[/red][/b][hr]
    : hi all,
    :
    : i want my software can be available to few of the users those who got the key. and one more thing is that depending on the key values too, the menu activation depends. i mean for a key value they may use the software for just evaluation. if they give some other key they will get some deepest level of software accessing and so on...
    :
    : one more problem is that the software should work for limited executions or for the limited time period.
    :
    : Is there any control or dll to do so. or is there any other method to do so.
    :
    : please help. ur suggestions and replys will be appreciable and encouragable.
    :
    : Thank u.
    :
    : regards,
    : Sheerprogrammer.
    :
    The easiest way is to simply include the code for your own serial code tester. Basically the way that serials work when you input a name, and a serial code is that the name is put through some kinds of 'rules'. For example, all of the r's could be turned into 'he', and the same sort of thing with all of the other letters.

When the user enters this code for the first time it could check to see if the name and serial code match with the set of rules. Then it could alter/create a small .dat file.

When the program loads, you simply check to see what the .dat file says (or if it exists), and either go into the demo mode, or go into the full version mode.

In accordance with the time demo issue the best bet is to probably go with a .dat file again. Add one to the number in the file each time the program is started up, and check to see if it has gone past the limit.

If none of this has made sense (which it probably hasnt lol) just email me or PM me and i'll get some code ready for you to have a look at.
    {C0d3d .Gh05t}

• lionblionb Posts: 1,688Member ✭✭
    : The easiest answer to this question is simply to not restrict them from using it at all.
    :
    IMHO, its good way when you create software as a hobby. Most free software creators have another decent source of income. In situation, when you are doing it for living, way 'not restrict' doesn't work. You have to protect your source of income.
  • DrMartenDrMarten Posts: 748Member
    Hi,

Use the current time at installation along with MOD arithmetic on a string where each consecutive character is based on the previous one, you could use a LARGE PRIME NUMBER in your maths too.

LARGE PRIME NUMBERS are used in the encryption algorithims used by online bank, credit and debit card transactions.

If you get the remainder after an INTEGER divison you could use that number to generate the next character and so on....

Output the keycode to the SCREEN at installation time only and
    DONT STORE IN ANY WAY WITHIN THE PROGRAM.

You could then use a CHECK KEYCODE ROUTINE if a user needs to REINSTALL.

You could also use custom data like reading part of the machine-bios somehow so it will only run on their computer <> with other data like their date-of-birth.

I spotted on this site somewhere about a utility which encrypts your EXE files so it makes it even harder for CODE-CRACKERS to "REVERSE ENGINEER" a program. If i find the area i will post the link here.

However, with the amount of forums and IRC areas on the internet, valid keycode combinations could be posted, so at the end of the day is it really worth adding keycode protection?

Adding a check for certain BIOS data so the program only runs on a certain machine could be hacked. However this idea prevents your code running on another computer ( until hacked ).

Regards,

Dr M.