Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How to start Advanced Programming ?

ranainnetranainnet Posts: 54Member
Hie everybody,

I have been trying to become a good vb programmer for quite a long time. Now I m in a state to code different types of vb program like manipulating database and using different controls of vb6.

But I m worried about something. The thing is that if the program is a bit big one then it runs slowly, and if I have to do some complex analysis or calculation then the program becomes even more slower.

For example, a few days ago I made a roster program using datagrid control. I used marge cells, coloured cells etc. But after completing the program it seemed slower to me. On the other hand I M becoming more and more worried thinking that If I do coding in this way I will never be able to become a professional programmer.

So, will anybody please inform me WHAT SHOULD I DO TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMMER, I mean what should I do to maximize the performance of a program.

Please show me the path to ADVANCED PROGRAMMERS' WORLD of VB6.

Comments

• BitByBit_ThorBitByBit_Thor Posts: 2,444Member
    What I think you need is to learn how to design.
    Once you know VB, you can program. But to become a professional programmer, you need to learn how to design the program, how to work together with a lot of people (programmers and non-programmers) to get to a result.

But I have to admit that I am by far a professional programmer... more of a VB freak (as long as you're not talking about databases).

Greets...
    Richard

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hie everybody,
    :
    : I have been trying to become a good vb programmer for quite a long time. Now I m in a state to code different types of vb program like manipulating database and using different controls of vb6.
    :
    : But I m worried about something. The thing is that if the program is a bit big one then it runs slowly, and if I have to do some complex analysis or calculation then the program becomes even more slower.
    :
    : For example, a few days ago I made a roster program using datagrid control. I used marge cells, coloured cells etc. But after completing the program it seemed slower to me. On the other hand I M becoming more and more worried thinking that If I do coding in this way I will never be able to become a professional programmer.
    :
    : So, will anybody please inform me WHAT SHOULD I DO TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMMER, I mean what should I do to maximize the performance of a program.
    :
    : Please show me the path to ADVANCED PROGRAMMERS' WORLD of VB6.

Being a professional programmer just means you get paid to code. Whether or not you are actually good at coding is a different issue. Boy have I got stories about programmers paid a ton of money to create absolute garbage. I'm sure most here do as well.

Maximizing system performance is a complicated subject that involves a lot of variables. And by no means is it a prerequisite to being a professional programmer, or even a decent amateur.

Without seeing any code, the best we can offer is general guidelines or suggestions. Things like: try to minimize the amount of round trips between your code and the database (if you have one); try turning off the "redrawing" of your grid while you're loading it and configuring it - especially if you have a lot of data in it, Windows will try to repaint/redraw it many times while your code is still loading data into it; try putting debug statements throughout the logic to help you identify parts that take a long time to execute, i.e.:

Debug.Print "About to calculate the flagoozle average: " & Now()
    Call CalculateFlagoozleAverage()
    Debug.Print "Done calculating the flagoozle average: " & Now()

once you've identified the slow parts, you can start to look at the algorithms you're using and work on improving them.

Also bear in mind that you may reach a point where it just isn't practical to try to squeeze out a few more milliseconds. If you're crunching a hundred thousand records then it's going to take a fair amount of time no matter what you do.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• ranainnetranainnet Posts: 54Member
    : : Hie everybody,
    : :
    : : I have been trying to become a good vb programmer for quite a long time. Now I m in a state to code different types of vb program like manipulating database and using different controls of vb6.
    : : But I m worried about something. The thing is that if the program is a bit big one then it runs slowly, and if I have to do some complex analysis or calculation then the program becomes even more slower.
    : : For example, a few days ago I made a roster program using datagrid control. I used marge cells, coloured cells etc. But after completing the program it seemed slower to me. On the other hand I M becoming more and more worried thinking that If I do coding in this way I will never be able to become a professional programmer.
    : : So, will anybody please inform me WHAT SHOULD I DO TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMMER, I mean what should I do to maximize the performance of a program.
    : : Please show me the path to ADVANCED PROGRAMMERS' WORLD of VB6.
    :
    : Being a professional programmer just means you get paid to code. Whether or not you are actually good at coding is a different issue. Boy have I got stories about programmers paid a ton of money to create absolute garbage. I'm sure most here do as well.
    :
    : Maximizing system performance is a complicated subject that involves a lot of variables. And by no means is it a prerequisite to being a professional programmer, or even a decent amateur.
    :
    : Without seeing any code, the best we can offer is general guidelines or suggestions. Things like: try to minimize the amount of round trips between your code and the database (if you have one); try turning off the "redrawing" of your grid while you're loading it and configuring it - especially if you have a lot of data in it, Windows will try to repaint/redraw it many times while your code is still loading data into it; try putting debug statements throughout the logic to help you identify parts that take a long time to execute, i.e.:
    :
    : Debug.Print "About to calculate the flagoozle average: " & Now()
    : Call CalculateFlagoozleAverage()
    : Debug.Print "Done calculating the flagoozle average: " & Now()
    :
    : once you've identified the slow parts, you can start to look at the algorithms you're using and work on improving them.
    :
    : Also bear in mind that you may reach a point where it just isn't practical to try to squeeze out a few more milliseconds. If you're crunching a hundred thousand records then it's going to take a fair amount of time no matter what you do.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : [code]
    : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : no rows returned
    : [/code]
    :
    :
    Thanks everybody for replying to my request

Actually I m not a programmer who is doing programming to earn. I m a commerce background student and programming is my hobby. I do programming for me and for others whoever ask me for some program that would help them do their regular works.

Yes there are many programmers who are supplying poor quality programs without giving a dam care to the performance of the program, and Thats why I m thinking of programming to build my career on.

But as I told, so far I know programming but I m very concerned about the performance of my program. So your comments and advices would help me a lot.

Another problem is, as I m a commerce student I don't know what type of books on programming should I read to enhance my knowledge about good programming practice. Yes I have come to know some tips Like..
    1. Not to use toomuch variables, this blocks more memory
    2. Not to use too much graphical objects and not to redraw
    3. ETC....
    I m trying to follow them. But still when I look at a program like Microsoft Excell I become astonized. These programs do a lot of background tasks with in a blink. And on the other hand my programs become heavy If it becomes a bit complex.

Please don't be bored with all the above message AND PLEASE KEEP SENDING ME ADVICES AND TIPS to help me become a good programmer.
    : Thanks everybody for replying to my request
    :
    : Actually I m not a programmer who is doing programming to earn. I m a commerce background student and programming is my hobby. I do programming for me and for others whoever ask me for some program that would help them do their regular works.
    :
    : Yes there are many programmers who are supplying poor quality programs without giving a dam care to the performance of the program, and Thats why I m thinking of programming to build my career on.
    :
    : But as I told, so far I know programming but I m very concerned about the performance of my program. So your comments and advices would help me a lot.
    :
    : Another problem is, as I m a commerce student I don't know what type of books on programming should I read to enhance my knowledge about good programming practice. Yes I have come to know some tips Like..
    : 1. Not to use toomuch variables, this blocks more memory
    : 2. Not to use too much graphical objects and not to redraw
    : 3. ETC....
    : I m trying to follow them. But still when I look at a program like Microsoft Excell I become astonized. These programs do a lot of background tasks with in a blink. And on the other hand my programs become heavy If it becomes a bit complex.
    :
    : Please don't be bored with all the above message AND PLEASE KEEP SENDING ME ADVICES AND TIPS to help me become a good programmer.

There's a lot of good information in a book like "Code Complete". I forget who the author is and don't have it handy at the moment. The main point I want to emphasize is that you should try hard to write good code first and worry about performance later. If you have good code in the first place, then fixing it or making it faster is much easier later.

Try not to compare your work to something like Excel. Excel is many years old, and in that time has received much attention from a lot of pretty smart people. Most of it is also written in C++ which is capable of much better performance than VB, it's also capable of doing much more than VB is.

[code]
    no rows returned
    [/code]

: : Thanks everybody for replying to my request
    : : Actually I m not a programmer who is doing programming to earn. I m a commerce background student and programming is my hobby. I do programming for me and for others whoever ask me for some program that would help them do their regular works.
    : : Yes there are many programmers who are supplying poor quality programs without giving a dam care to the performance of the program, and Thats why I m thinking of programming to build my career on.
    : : But as I told, so far I know programming but I m very concerned about the performance of my program. So your comments and advices would help me a lot.
    : : Another problem is, as I m a commerce student I don't know what type of books on programming should I read to enhance my knowledge about good programming practice. Yes I have come to know some tips Like..
    : : 1. Not to use toomuch variables, this blocks more memory
    : : 2. Not to use too much graphical objects and not to redraw
    : : 3. ETC....
    : : I m trying to follow them. But still when I look at a program like Microsoft Excell I become astonized. These programs do a lot of background tasks with in a blink. And on the other hand my programs become heavy If it becomes a bit complex.
    : : Please don't be bored with all the above message AND PLEASE KEEP SENDING ME ADVICES AND TIPS to help me become a good programmer.
    :
    : There's a lot of good information in a book like "Code Complete". I forget who the author is and don't have it handy at the moment. The main point I want to emphasize is that you should try hard to write good code first and worry about performance later. If you have good code in the first place, then fixing it or making it faster is much easier later.
    :
    : Try not to compare your work to something like Excel. Excel is many years old, and in that time has received much attention from a lot of pretty smart people. Most of it is also written in C++ which is capable of much better performance than VB, it's also capable of doing much more than VB is.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Thanks for replying
    But Would u please explain me what u mean by "good code". I think some examples from your own programming habit would be very heloful to me.
    [b][red]This message was edited by infidel at 2005-8-22 8:3:13[/red][/b][hr]
    : Thanks for replying
    : But Would u please explain me what u mean by "good code". I think some examples from your own programming habit would be very heloful to me.

That's a very subjective thing. I think one of the best indicators of code quality is its maintainability. How easily can you go back and understand code that you wrote a year ago? If you take the time up front to write meaningful comments, give variables and procedures meaningful names, use consistent conventions, and those kinds of things, then in the long run the code will be easier to work with some time later when it isn't fresh in your mind.

The book "Code Complete" covers all of these kinds of topics, and more.

[code]
    no rows returned
    [/code]

: [b][red]This message was edited by infidel at 2005-8-22 8:3:13[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Thanks for replying
    : : But Would u please explain me what u mean by "good code". I think some examples from your own programming habit would be very heloful to me.
    :
    : That's a very subjective thing. I think one of the best indicators of code quality is its maintainability. How easily can you go back and understand code that you wrote a year ago? If you take the time up front to write meaningful comments, give variables and procedures meaningful names, use consistent conventions, and those kinds of things, then in the long run the code will be easier to work with some time later when it isn't fresh in your mind.
    :
    : The book "Code Complete" covers all of these kinds of topics, and more.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Thanks for your cooperation. I know the topics you have told about and try my best to follow those conventions.

Please keep informing me about any type of performance issue u come to know, that would be a great help to me.

And lastly, I am not fortunate enough to get much advanced books on programming in our country and if I try to collect the books from abroad then it will cost me enough that I can't afford. So If u can please let me know any URLs where I can read or download e-books on programming.