Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

disabling the back button of ei

JunMJunM Member Posts: 31
Hi!

I have another problem here. i would like to disable the back button of internet explorer. i just wondering what if the user press the back button of the browser instead the back button(command button) on the page. I have some codes on the back button(command button) of the page before back to main.

Pls. help me.
Thanks.

Comments

• FlakesFlakes Member Posts: 642
    : Hi!
    :
    : I have another problem here. i would like to disable the back button of internet explorer. i just wondering what if the user press the back button of the browser instead the back button(command button) on the page. I have some codes on the back button(command button) of the page before back to main.
    :
    : Pls. help me.
    : Thanks.
    :

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/111500-1.shtml

• aaronjones3593aaronjones3593 Member Posts: 122
    : : Hi!
    : :
    : : I have another problem here. i would like to disable the back button of internet explorer. i just wondering what if the user press the back button of the browser instead the back button(command button) on the page. I have some codes on the back button(command button) of the page before back to main.
    : : Pls. help me.
    : : Thanks.
    :
    :
    : http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/111500-1.shtml
    :
    :
    :
    one thing i have used to do this is open a new window with javascript and close the current window after, ie would grey out the back button because there is nothing to go back to, as the window it is currently in hasnt been anywhere else

very useful

• x_rayx_ray Member Posts: 71
    : : : Hi!
    : : :
    : : : I have another problem here. i would like to disable the back button of internet explorer. i just wondering what if the user press the back button of the browser instead the back button(command button) on the page. I have some codes on the back button(command button) of the page before back to main.
    : : : Pls. help me.
    : : : Thanks.
    : : http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/111500-1.shtml
    : one thing i have used to do this is open a new window with javascript and close the current window after, ie would grey out the back button because there is nothing to go back to, as the window it is currently in hasnt been anywhere else
    :
    : very useful
    :
    :
    Dosn't this harm session objects?
  • aaronjones3593aaronjones3593 Member Posts: 122
    : : : : Hi!
    : : : :
    : : : : I have another problem here. i would like to disable the back button of internet explorer. i just wondering what if the user press the back button of the browser instead the back button(command button) on the page. I have some codes on the back button(command button) of the page before back to main.
    : : : : Pls. help me.
    : : : : Thanks.
    : : : http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/111500-1.shtml
    : : one thing i have used to do this is open a new window with javascript and close the current window after, ie would grey out the back button because there is nothing to go back to, as the window it is currently in hasnt been anywhere else
    : : very useful
    : Dosn't this harm session objects?
    :
    not if the page in the new window is in the same directory or in a sub-directory of the page that opened the new window

[code]

var newWindow = window.open("somedir/somepage.asp", "_blank");
    window.open("closewin.htm", "_top");

[/code]

closewin.htm:

[code]

window.close();

[/code]

The reason I open a new page (closewin.htm) instead of using window.close() is that if the window currently executing javascript has not been opened by javascript in another page then IE will display a yes/no box informing you that the web-page you are viewing is trying to close the window, so thats why you have to create closewin.htm if you want to implement this trick.. :)
  • x_rayx_ray Member Posts: 71
    : : : : : Hi!
    : : : : :
    : : : : : I have another problem here. i would like to disable the back button of internet explorer. i just wondering what if the user press the back button of the browser instead the back button(command button) on the page. I have some codes on the back button(command button) of the page before back to main.
    : : : : : Pls. help me.
    : : : : : Thanks.
    : : : : http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/111500-1.shtml
    : : : one thing i have used to do this is open a new window with javascript and close the current window after, ie would grey out the back button because there is nothing to go back to, as the window it is currently in hasnt been anywhere else
    : : : very useful
    : : Dosn't this harm session objects?
    : not if the page in the new window is in the same directory or in a sub-directory of the page that opened the new window
    :
    : [code]
    :
    : var newWindow = window.open("somedir/somepage.asp", "_blank");
    : window.open("closewin.htm", "_top");
    :
    : [/code]
    :
    : closewin.htm:
    :
    : [code]
    :
    : window.close();
    :
    : [/code]
    :
    :
    : The reason I open a new page (closewin.htm) instead of using window.close() is that if the window currently executing javascript has not been opened by javascript in another page then IE will display a yes/no box informing you that the web-page you are viewing is trying to close the window, so thats why you have to create closewin.htm if you want to implement this trick.. :)
    :
    Now that what i call geniosity!!!!