Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

database problem

Iam working on a database that will keep track of the students in a not for profit that it will have the name and info for the student that are in our program and he need to be able to click on a student name and a textbox to show up so that general notes can be add for that student I know how to get the textbox to show up I will use the show and hide properties for the box what I don't know is how to capture the mouse click to tell what student he wants. also I need to beable to save it from session to session I know how to save what is in the textbox in different .txt files named for the student but he wants this whole thing to be passworded I know I can password the textbox from within the VB project but how do i stop people from accessing it from a text editoring program outside of the vb program is there some file format other then .txt that I can save the information to if you can solve one of the problems and not the other that would be helpfull to but I need both problems answered

Matthew J Meahl

Comments

• GogiGogi Member Posts: 258
    : Iam working on a database that will keep track of the students in a not for profit that it will have the name and info for the student that are in our program and he need to be able to click on a student name and a textbox to show up so that general notes can be add for that student I know how to get the textbox to show up I will use the show and hide properties for the box what I don't know is how to capture the mouse click to tell what student he wants. also I need to beable to save it from session to session I know how to save what is in the textbox in different .txt files named for the student but he wants this whole thing to be passworded I know I can password the textbox from within the VB project but how do i stop people from accessing it from a text editoring program outside of the vb program is there some file format other then .txt that I can save the information to if you can solve one of the problems and not the other that would be helpfull to but I need both problems answered
    :
    :
    :
    : Matthew J Meahl
    :

1.)What do you use to show student names?DataGrid,ListBox,something else?

2.)Maybe you can encrypt your files,and decrypt them when you need to display it in your program.Do some Googling and try to find an ActiveX control,or function which can do this for you.Of course,that's not 100% safe protection..but for most cases,it's enough.

• philippians413philippians413 Member Posts: 13
    : : Iam working on a database that will keep track of the students in a not for profit that it will have the name and info for the student that are in our program and he need to be able to click on a student name and a textbox to show up so that general notes can be add for that student I know how to get the textbox to show up I will use the show and hide properties for the box what I don't know is how to capture the mouse click to tell what student he wants. also I need to beable to save it from session to session I know how to save what is in the textbox in different .txt files named for the student but he wants this whole thing to be passworded I know I can password the textbox from within the VB project but how do i stop people from accessing it from a text editoring program outside of the vb program is there some file format other then .txt that I can save the information to if you can solve one of the problems and not the other that would be helpfull to but I need both problems answered
    : :
    : : Matthew J Meahl
    :
    : 1.)What do you use to show student names?DataGrid,ListBox,something else?
    :
    : 2.)Maybe you can encrypt your files,and decrypt them when you need to display it in your program.Do some Googling and try to find an ActiveX control,or function which can do this for you.Of course,that's not 100% safe protection..but for most cases,it's enough.
    :
    :

1) Iam using a Datagrid that is hooked up to a adoc control

2) I found the answer on another vb messageboard site called vbcity.com
  • GogiGogi Member Posts: 258
    : : : Iam working on a database that will keep track of the students in a not for profit that it will have the name and info for the student that are in our program and he need to be able to click on a student name and a textbox to show up so that general notes can be add for that student I know how to get the textbox to show up I will use the show and hide properties for the box what I don't know is how to capture the mouse click to tell what student he wants. also I need to beable to save it from session to session I know how to save what is in the textbox in different .txt files named for the student but he wants this whole thing to be passworded I know I can password the textbox from within the VB project but how do i stop people from accessing it from a text editoring program outside of the vb program is there some file format other then .txt that I can save the information to if you can solve one of the problems and not the other that would be helpfull to but I need both problems answered
    : : :
    : : : Matthew J Meahl
    : : 1.)What do you use to show student names?DataGrid,ListBox,something else?
    : : 2.)Maybe you can encrypt your files,and decrypt them when you need to display it in your program.Do some Googling and try to find an ActiveX control,or function which can do this for you.Of course,that's not 100% safe protection..but for most cases,it's enough.
    :
    : 1) Iam using a Datagrid that is hooked up to a adoc control
    :
    : 2) I found the answer on another vb messageboard site called vbcity.com
    :

Hi,

If you are using DataGrid control bound to ADO control,you can try something like this:

[code]
    Dim StudentName As String
    StudentName = Adodc1.Recordset("StudentName").Value
    [/code]

Of course,you would have to change "StudentName" with real field name in your database.

Hope this helps!

Gogi