Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Windows and JAVA

antonsantons Posts: 117Member
Hi there

I am curious to know how Java provides the programmer with functionality. If you are using for instance C on Windows, you can (and probably would) use Windows to do certain things for you. Now I wonder, if you are using Java on for instance Windows, you would not want to code Windows programming in there. Does Java then provide the functionality that Windows should have?? Or to put it another way, I have not yet seen a book called WINDOWS PROGRAMMING USING JAVA. Does anyone understand how these things fit together? Or maybe you would use the VM as a kind of OS??
Anyone???

Regards
Anton

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : Hi there
    :
    : I am curious to know how Java provides the programmer with functionality. If you are using for instance C on Windows, you can (and probably would) use Windows to do certain things for you. Now I wonder, if you are using Java on for instance Windows, you would not want to code Windows programming in there. Does Java then provide the functionality that Windows should have?? Or to put it another way, I have not yet seen a book called WINDOWS PROGRAMMING USING JAVA. Does anyone understand how these things fit together? Or maybe you would use the VM as a kind of OS??
    : Anyone???
    :
    : Regards
    : Anton
    :

java is not just another Windows language. When you write a java program you have no clue what operating system it is going to be run on.

• antonsantons Posts: 117Member
    : : Hi there
    : :
    : : I am curious to know how Java provides the programmer with functionality. If you are using for instance C on Windows, you can (and probably would) use Windows to do certain things for you. Now I wonder, if you are using Java on for instance Windows, you would not want to code Windows programming in there. Does Java then provide the functionality that Windows should have?? Or to put it another way, I have not yet seen a book called WINDOWS PROGRAMMING USING JAVA. Does anyone understand how these things fit together? Or maybe you would use the VM as a kind of OS??
    : : Anyone???
    : : Regards
    : : Anton
    :
    : java is not just another Windows language. When you write a java program you have no clue what operating system it is going to be run on.
    :
    :
    :

Yes, I know. But does that then mean that the functionality that could be obtained in another language by doing Windows API programming, is now available in Java or the VM itself? I was just wondering, as I have not really seen this kind of comparison anywhere before. I hope I am being understood.

Thanks

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : Hi there
    :
    : I am curious to know how Java provides the programmer with functionality. If you are using for instance C on Windows, you can (and probably would) use Windows to do certain things for you. Now I wonder, if you are using Java on for instance Windows, you would not want to code Windows programming in there. Does Java then provide the functionality that Windows should have?? Or to put it another way, I have not yet seen a book called WINDOWS PROGRAMMING USING JAVA. Does anyone understand how these things fit together? Or maybe you would use the VM as a kind of OS??
    : Anyone???
    :
    : Regards
    : Anton
    :
    :

Java has got equal functions to many things is the Win API. Graphics, keyboard/mouse handling, threads etc. It has been a while sence I last used Java, so I don't remember if/how you can access the "raw" API functions from it (I doubt you can).

This is all really off-topic... you will probably get better replies on the Java board.
  • stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    I'm not a java expert -- actually I suck at it. But Java's VM doesn't duplicate os api but makes os api function calls directly. Afterall, that's the main purpose of the java VM is to translate your java code into something useful that the os can understand.
    : : Hi there
    : : I am curious to know how Java provides the programmer with functionality. If you are using for instance C on Windows, you can (and probably would) use Windows to do certain things for you. Now I wonder, if you are using Java on for instance Windows, you would not want to code Windows programming in there. Does Java then provide the functionality that Windows should have?? Or to put it another way, I have not yet seen a book called WINDOWS PROGRAMMING USING JAVA. Does anyone understand how these things fit together? Or maybe you would use the VM as a kind of OS??
    : : Anyone???
    : : Regards
    : : Anton
    :
    : Java has got equal functions to many things is the Win API. Graphics, keyboard/mouse handling, threads etc. It has been a while sence I last used Java, so I don't remember if/how you can access the "raw" API functions from it (I doubt you can).
    :
    : This is all really off-topic... you will probably get better replies on the Java board.
    :

OK then, I was just wondering. Lastly, what about DLLs and Java. Can/should Java use those?? Or can Java do something else similar to this??
    I will go to the Java forum if you insist. While I am there, should I tell them you guys think their language sucks??
    While on the subject of GUYS, why are there no hot chicks wanting to program?? It is because they dont like nerds? They are always complaining about equal rights, but they dont want to get down and dirty with the rest of us.
    They say live every day like your last. I think I would get wasted on my last day. Should I therefor now get wasted every day since it might be my last??

Regards

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : OK then, I was just wondering. Lastly, what about DLLs and Java. Can/should Java use those??

I doubt the Java standard has any support for DLLs. But still they must be used in some way. If they are linked to the application or to the VM, I don't know.

: I will go to the Java forum if you insist. While I am there, should I tell them you guys think their language sucks??

They know already. Well, it is not so much the language that sucks, but rather the programs made in it.

: While on the subject of GUYS, why are there no hot chicks wanting to program?? It is because they dont like nerds? They are always complaining about equal rights, but they dont want to get down and dirty with the rest of us.

Gah, not again. I can't bother anymore with the most FAQ after homework. Next question.

Thank you everyone. Have a nice day.