Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

API Calls?!

I've noticed that many development hurdles can be crossed using API Calls, such as getting the windows system directory and a million other things. Two things, though:

How do I know if the API call I'm using will also be compatible with win 98, if someone should use the app on an older os.

And where can I go to understand what I'm doing when I do API calls. It's all good and fine to get an example on the web and implement it and the app works fine, but I would like to know and understand what I'm doing rather than just using some piece of code to solve my problem.

Anyone with an answer to either questions, pls let me know.

Tx.

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    : I've noticed that many development hurdles can be crossed using API Calls, such as getting the windows system directory and a million other things. Two things, though:
    :
    : How do I know if the API call I'm using will also be compatible with
    : win 98, if someone should use the app on an older os.
    :
    See the MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network - http://msdn.microsoft.com/) which documents all API calls and details what OSes they will work on.

: And where can I go to understand what I'm doing when I do API calls. It's all good and fine to get an example on the web and implement it and the app works fine, but I would like to know and understand what I'm doing rather than just using some piece of code to solve my problem.
    :
    Again, the documentation for the API call on the MSDN will explain what the call does, what each of its parameters mean and so on.

As for the big picture, you are calling a function that is supplied by the operating system. It's like calling a function in your program, apart from it's part of the OS. (Oh, and some other little details you probably don't want to know, such as something called calling conventions, which is how parameters are passed, but VB covers you on all of that stuff).

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• pseudocoderpseudocoder Member Posts: 701 ✭✭✭
    You might look into the API guide made just for VB. http://www.mentalis.org/agnet/apiguide.shtml It's a stand alone exe that covers many API calls that work with VB, lists the minimum OSes each supported function will run under, and comes with examples that you can paste directly into a VB project. Many *work* fine with VB 4 32 bit, and most *work* fine with VB 6.

I'd also suggest MSDN to find the answers to your second question, but it's very time consuming to look for the functions one by one... the guide will help target a specific function, and then you can search for it directly at MSDN.

: I've noticed that many development hurdles can be crossed using API Calls, such as getting the windows system directory and a million other things. Two things, though:
    :
    : How do I know if the API call I'm using will also be compatible with win 98, if someone should use the app on an older os.
    :
    : And where can I go to understand what I'm doing when I do API calls. It's all good and fine to get an example on the web and implement it and the app works fine, but I would like to know and understand what I'm doing rather than just using some piece of code to solve my problem.
    :
    : Anyone with an answer to either questions, pls let me know.
    :
    : Tx.
    :
  • johannesjjohannesj Member Posts: 9
    Thanx for the help. I've looked at the suggested API Guide and am starting to get a hang on it. Thank you.

: You might look into the API guide made just for VB. http://www.mentalis.org/agnet/apiguide.shtml It's a stand alone exe that covers many API calls that work with VB, lists the minimum OSes each supported function will run under, and comes with examples that you can paste directly into a VB project. Many *work* fine with VB 4 32 bit, and most *work* fine with VB 6.
    :
    : I'd also suggest MSDN to find the answers to your second question, but it's very time consuming to look for the functions one by one... the guide will help target a specific function, and then you can search for it directly at MSDN.
    :
    : : I've noticed that many development hurdles can be crossed using API Calls, such as getting the windows system directory and a million other things. Two things, though:
    : :
    : : How do I know if the API call I'm using will also be compatible with win 98, if someone should use the app on an older os.
    : : And where can I go to understand what I'm doing when I do API calls. It's all good and fine to get an example on the web and implement it and the app works fine, but I would like to know and understand what I'm doing rather than just using some piece of code to solve my problem.
    : : Anyone with an answer to either questions, pls let me know.
    : : Tx.
    :