Recursive Classes and the "uses" clause - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Recursive Classes and the "uses" clause

MarcLimMarcLim Posts: 2Member
Hi, I have a problem that is making me crazy. I have two classes, both have a field of the type of the another. They used to be in the same unit, so there was no problem, but now I'm starting the version 2 and the classes are turning too big to be in the same unit. If I include both units in the "uses" clause I get the "recursive unit reference" error...

How can I get out of this @#1~"% problem? Ideas?

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Hi, I have a problem that is making me crazy. I have two classes, both have a field of the type of the another. They used to be in the same unit, so there was no problem, but now I'm starting the version 2 and the classes are turning too big to be in the same unit. If I include both units in the "uses" clause I get the "recursive unit reference" error...
    :
    : How can I get out of this @#1~"% problem? Ideas?
    :
    You can put the implementation of the objects in include files. This way the implementation section becomes much shorter:
    [code]
    unit

interface

type
    T2 = class;

T1 = class(TObject)
    procedure SomeProc;
    end;

T2 = class(TObject)
    procedure SomeProc2;
    end;

implementation

{$INCLUDE 'T1Impl.pas'}

{$INCLUDE 'T2Impl.pas'}

end.
    [/code]
    and
    [code]
    // Include file for implementation of T1

procedure T1.SomeProc;
    begin
    end;
    [/code]
    The management of the source becomes somewhat more difficult, because it is spread out over a number of files.
  • netgertnetgert Posts: 331Member
    Another way is not to put the exact type (like TMyControl), but use TObject and then in the implementation part put the other unit into uses-clause and check the type (FMyField is TMyControl)

example:

[code]
    unit Unit1

interface

uses Classes;

type
    TFirstObject = class
    FSecondObj: TObject;
    procedure FirstMethod;
    end;

implementation

uses Unit2;

procedure TFirstObject.FirstMethod;
    begin
    if not (FSecondObj is TSecondObject) then
    raise Exception.Create('FFirstObj must be a descendant of TSecondObject');
    end;

end.
    [/code]

[code]
    unit Unit2

interface

uses Classes;

type
    TSecondObject = class
    FFirstObj: TObject;
    procedure SecondMethod;
    end;

implementation

uses Unit1;

procedure TSecondObject.SecondMethod;
    begin
    if not (FFirstObj is TFirstObject) then
    raise Exception.Create('FSecondObj must be a descendant of TFirstObject');
    end;

end.
    [/code]

: : Hi, I have a problem that is making me crazy. I have two classes, both have a field of the type of the another. They used to be in the same unit, so there was no problem, but now I'm starting the version 2 and the classes are turning too big to be in the same unit. If I include both units in the "uses" clause I get the "recursive unit reference" error...
    : :
    : : How can I get out of this @#1~"% problem? Ideas?
    : :
    : You can put the implementation of the objects in include files. This way the implementation section becomes much shorter:
    : [code]
    : unit
    :
    : interface
    :
    : type
    : T2 = class;
    :
    : T1 = class(TObject)
    : procedure SomeProc;
    : end;
    :
    : T2 = class(TObject)
    : procedure SomeProc2;
    :
    : implementation
    :
    : {$INCLUDE 'T1Impl.pas'}
    :
    : {$INCLUDE 'T2Impl.pas'}
    :
    : end.
    : [/code]
    : and
    : [code]
    : // Include file for implementation of T1
    :
    : procedure T1.SomeProc;
    : begin
    : [/code]
    : The management of the source becomes somewhat more difficult, because it is spread out over a number of files.
    :
    [hr][red][italic][b]N[/b][/red][blue]et[/blue][red][b]G[/b][/red][blue]ert[/italic][/blue][hr]

• KoppisKoppis Posts: 68Member
    : Hi, I have a problem that is making me crazy. I have two classes, both have a field of the type of the another. They used to be in the same unit, so there was no problem, but now I'm starting the version 2 and the classes are turning too big to be in the same unit. If I include both units in the "uses" clause I get the "recursive unit reference" error...
    :
    : How can I get out of this @#1~"% problem? Ideas?
    :

You can use uses-clause in 2 different places. If you had read the help files, you would know this. One of those 2 Units must have their uses clause BEFORE "implementation" word and the another must have it AFTER it.
    See this:

Unit Unit1;
    Uses Unit2;
    [red]implementation[/red]
    ---
    Unit Unit2;
    [red]implementation[/red]

Uses Unit1;