Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

what 3d object format should I use

kvasarnomadkvasarnomad Member Posts: 7
I have just finished making my 3D polygon engine useable.
There are still some bugs and things I have to implement.
One of these things are how to load a 3D object.

Now here is my question:
What 3D object format should I use, are there any ones that can easyly be implemented into my 3D engine?
I could save a lot of work if I can find a format that I can easyly load into my 3D engine or maybe a converter that converts a 3D object format to a format I have designed.

My 3D engine is just a simple polygon engine so I don't need a format that can handle textures :) or any other 'high tech' functions :).

If it's to hard to implement a 3D object loader or converter then I would have to make my own 3D modeler program, which I rather don't want to spend endless hours on.
-~:K.v.a.s.a.r.N.o.m.a.d:~-

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    I use my own format and have a small converter I wrote that goes from Maya5 to my own. That's what I would recomend to you. making your own, that is.
    -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• Phat NatPhat Nat Member Posts: 757
    : I have just finished making my 3D polygon engine useable.
    : There are still some bugs and things I have to implement.
    : One of these things are how to load a 3D object.
    :
    : Now here is my question:
    : What 3D object format should I use, are there any ones that can easyly be implemented into my 3D engine?
    : I could save a lot of work if I can find a format that I can easyly load into my 3D engine or maybe a converter that converts a 3D object format to a format I have designed.
    :
    : My 3D engine is just a simple polygon engine so I don't need a format that can handle textures :) or any other 'high tech' functions :).
    :
    : If it's to hard to implement a 3D object loader or converter then I would have to make my own 3D modeler program, which I rather don't want to spend endless hours on.
    : -~:K.v.a.s.a.r.N.o.m.a.d:~-

I wrote one in Turbo Pascal that loaded a basic 3D file. I ended up naming them .3D2 files (2nd Gen of my 3D format). Anyways, it's really basic and just saves polygons (# of points, list of points). I wrote a 3D2 maker that just takes numbers and creates the points for you. It shows you while you do it. You're welcome to have it, but you may want something that handles Real integers instead of whole numbers. Used it to make a truck, tie fighter, boxes, etc

Phat Nat

• DimitarDimitar Member Posts: 2

In my new 3D Engine (i will post it soon)
    i load from the 3D Studio .ASE format
    which is an ASCII file and easy to load and read from.
    I don't use a converter to my own format becouse the format
    of the .ASE is clean and standard.
    You don't have to load materials/textures, my first version
    i did earlier didn't load textures also.
    But it's easy to make that too, once you need to.

The .ASE format is found in the FILE/EXPORT menu in 3DS MAX.
    Any 3DS MAX produces the same .ASE file.

Regards,
    Dime

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Hi there,

I use my own in my 3d engine as well. I was using 3ds but I have moved on as I needed to add in specific information into the format. Very useful to customize a 3d format.

For ASE format you can use libase. Or better yet use ms3d or md2/md3 file formats which will give you skeleton animation support as well. With md2 you will get only keyframe animation.

:
    : In my new 3D Engine (i will post it soon)
    : i load from the 3D Studio .ASE format
    : which is an ASCII file and easy to load and read from.
    : I don't use a converter to my own format becouse the format
    : of the .ASE is clean and standard.
    : You don't have to load materials/textures, my first version
    : i did earlier didn't load textures also.
    : But it's easy to make that too, once you need to.
    :
    : The .ASE format is found in the FILE/EXPORT menu in 3DS MAX.
    : Any 3DS MAX produces the same .ASE file.
    :
    : Regards,
    : Dime
    :
    :