Need some direction - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Need some direction

JeffandVBJeffandVB Posts: 2Member
I have learned Excel the hard way and have become good with functions. Well a start anyway I see talk about XML for web page design it looks like a better way to me. Anyway I need some help in taking my skills to a new level. What would you suggest I learn next VB or a more advanced programming! I have no programming skills at all except what I have learned on my own! Thank you for reading

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I have learned Excel the hard way and have become good with functions. Well a start anyway I see talk about XML for web page design it looks like a better way to me. Anyway I need some help in taking my skills to a new level. What would you suggest I learn next VB or a more advanced programming! I have no programming skills at all except what I have learned on my own! Thank you for reading
    :
    XML has little to do with actual programming. XML is simply a method of storing data in a descriptive way. As such you can use XML as a storage for a database, or to store the contents of a webpage. The advantage of XML as content storage is that the content and layout are completely separate.
    As for which language is better, I prefer Delphi over VB. Delphi has several pros and cons for beginners:
    Pros: english-like language, good help files and demos (I learned nearly everything from those)
    Cons: a lot of internet sample codes are not in Delphi, very strict syntax with several perculiarities

If you want the most sample codes to learn from, I would suggest C or one of its variations. C however is more symbolic than Delphi.
    I would certainly not suggest VB, as this language has many limitations. One of which is that it isn't a full object-orientated programming (OOP) language, but only an object-using language. C++, Delphi and Java are OOP-languages. If you want to program for webdesign it is better to learn java, ASP, or PHP.
  • JeffandVBJeffandVB Posts: 2Member

: XML has little to do with actual programming. XML is simply a method of storing data in a descriptive way. As such you can use XML as a storage for a database, or to store the contents of a webpage. The advantage of XML as content storage is that the content and layout are completely separate.
    : As for which language is better, I prefer Delphi over VB. Delphi has several pros and cons for beginners:
    : Pros: english-like language, good help files and demos (I learned nearly everything from those)
    : Cons: a lot of internet sample codes are not in Delphi, very strict syntax with several perculiarities
    :
    : If you want the most sample codes to learn from, I would suggest C or one of its variations. C however is more symbolic than Delphi.
    : I would certainly not suggest VB, as this language has many limitations. One of which is that it isn't a full object-orientated programming (OOP) language, but only an object-using language. C++, Delphi and Java are OOP-languages. If you want to program for webdesign it is better to learn java, ASP, or PHP.
    :
    Thank you for replying to my message. I found a place online that sends you lessons It is about.com Is this a good starting point or is there a better place to learn the C or C++ language.
  • zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    :
    : : XML has little to do with actual programming. XML is simply a method of storing data in a descriptive way. As such you can use XML as a storage for a database, or to store the contents of a webpage. The advantage of XML as content storage is that the content and layout are completely separate.
    : : As for which language is better, I prefer Delphi over VB. Delphi has several pros and cons for beginners:
    : : Pros: english-like language, good help files and demos (I learned nearly everything from those)
    : : Cons: a lot of internet sample codes are not in Delphi, very strict syntax with several perculiarities
    : :
    : : If you want the most sample codes to learn from, I would suggest C or one of its variations. C however is more symbolic than Delphi.
    : : I would certainly not suggest VB, as this language has many limitations. One of which is that it isn't a full object-orientated programming (OOP) language, but only an object-using language. C++, Delphi and Java are OOP-languages. If you want to program for webdesign it is better to learn java, ASP, or PHP.
    : :
    : Thank you for replying to my message. I found a place online that sends you lessons It is about.com Is this a good starting point or is there a better place to learn the C or C++ language.
    :
    I don't know. I learn a small part of programming at the university, after which I learned the rest from looking at demo programs and working through the help files of the Delphi language. I hardly ever turned to sites or books to learn a language.
  • infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : I have learned Excel the hard way and have become good with functions. Well a start anyway I see talk about XML for web page design it looks like a better way to me. Anyway I need some help in taking my skills to a new level. What would you suggest I learn next VB or a more advanced programming! I have no programming skills at all except what I have learned on my own! Thank you for reading

I kind of depends on what sorts of programming you want to do. If you want to make pretty forms and push buttons to make them do things (including manipulating Excel spreadsheets) then VB might be the best for you. VB is more a tool for creating Windows programs than a true programming environment. It hides vast gobs of arcane Windows gibberish behind a pretty interface, so as long as you're doing simple stuff, VB is easy. If you want to do anything more complicated then it starts getting pretty ugly.

I personally recommend Python to everyone. It's not as suited to GUI programming as VB, though there are a number of GUI toolkits available.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]