Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Luxasm progress?

EvenbitEvenbit Posts: 54Member
TO: Beth - the non-leading leader of the voluntarily leaderless Luxasm team
CC: The Luxasm-devel list at sourceforge.net
CC: NEWS:alt.lang.asm
CC: NEWS:alt.comp.linux
CC: NEWS:alt.comp.lang.assembler
CC: NEWS:comp.compilers
CC: NEWS:comp.programming
CC: NEWS:comp.os.linux.development.apps
CC: NEWS:alt.linux
CC: NEWS:alt.os.linux
CC: NEWS:alt.os.assembly
CC: NEWS:comp.lang.asm.x86
CC: http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/wwwboard.asp?Board=1
CC: http://www.masmforum.com/simple/index.php?board=32.0
[Cross-posted for project exposure, follow-ups reduced]

SUBJECT: Luxasm progress?

I know that Frank has explored the inter-process communication side with actual code and has spearheaded the investigation into how to write code that avoids segfaults on the new kernal [I still personally see this as a bug in the kernal since not only is it not backwards-compatible with old binaries, but it is also not backwards-compatible with old sources]; and Sevag started a prototype line editor for it, but could you tell us what else is currently being worked on and/or scheduled? Do you have project ideas that interested parties could work on?

I havent checked, but I am sure you have probably posted examples of what a Hello World will look like in Luxasm syntax, but could you perhaps go a little further and describe maybe a Calculator program which makes use of any advanced features you are planning for Luxasm such as Macros, Compile-Time Language, etc.?

Nathan.

ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE information, tools, forums, and other links available at:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/comp/comp.lang.asm.x86.html

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : TO: Beth - the non-leading leader of the voluntarily leaderless Luxasm team
    : CC: The Luxasm-devel list at sourceforge.net
    : CC: NEWS:alt.lang.asm
    : CC: NEWS:alt.comp.linux
    : CC: NEWS:alt.comp.lang.assembler
    : CC: NEWS:comp.compilers
    : CC: NEWS:comp.programming
    : CC: NEWS:comp.os.linux.development.apps
    : CC: NEWS:alt.linux
    : CC: NEWS:alt.os.linux
    : CC: NEWS:alt.os.assembly
    : CC: NEWS:comp.lang.asm.x86
    : CC: http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/wwwboard.asp?Board=1
    : CC: http://www.masmforum.com/simple/index.php?board=32.0
    : [Cross-posted for project exposure, follow-ups reduced]
    :
    : SUBJECT: Luxasm progress?
    :
    : I know that Frank has explored the inter-process communication side with actual code and has spearheaded the investigation into how to write code that avoids segfaults on the new kernal [I still personally see this as a bug in the kernal since not only is it not backwards-compatible with old binaries, but it is also not backwards-compatible with old sources]; and Sevag started a prototype line editor for it, but could you tell us what else is currently being worked on and/or scheduled? Do you have project ideas that interested parties could work on?
    :
    : I havent checked, but I am sure you have probably posted examples of what a Hello World will look like in Luxasm syntax, but could you perhaps go a little further and describe maybe a Calculator program which makes use of any advanced features you are planning for Luxasm such as Macros, Compile-Time Language, etc.?
    :
    : Nathan.
    :
    : ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE information, tools, forums, and other links available at:
    : http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/comp/comp.lang.asm.x86.html
    :
    [blue]So, there is a new assembler called Luxasm?
    Interesting, because I also design a new assembler.
    [/blue]
  • EvenbitEvenbit Posts: 54Member
    : [blue]So, there is a new assembler called Luxasm?
    : Interesting, because I also design a new assembler.
    : [/blue]
    :

Well, not actually. It is mostly "vaporware" at the moment...still in the planning stage. That is why I am giving it a little PR exposure to see if more interested parties would like to join to maybe "inject new blood" and help it along a little. It is conceved as a Linux Specific assembler with a flexible, modular design. It is actually more complicated than that and I really don't know enough of the details to explain it properly. Do an advanced Google Groups search of alt.lang.asm for "Beth" in the author field and "Luxasm" in the body for a better explaination.

Nathan.

• PrzemekG_PrzemekG_ Posts: 595Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by PrzemekG_ at 2005-7-27 13:55:54[/red][/b][hr]
    : : [blue]So, there is a new assembler called Luxasm?
    : : Interesting, because I also design a new assembler.
    : : [/blue]
    : :
    :
    : Well, not actually. It is mostly "vaporware" at the moment...still in the planning stage. That is why I am giving it a little PR exposure to see if more interested parties would like to join to maybe "inject new blood" and help it along a little. It is conceved as a Linux Specific assembler with a flexible, modular design. It is actually more complicated than that and I really don't know enough of the details to explain it properly. Do an advanced Google Groups search of alt.lang.asm for "Beth" in the author field and "Luxasm" in the body for a better explaination.
    :
    : Nathan.
    :
    I love linux and hate GAS :), but I never program in ASM for linux (I think now only the bootloader and some parts in the kernel are in ASM).
    Do you think linux needs any new assembler ?
    I think when someone can't handle GAS, he use NASM which is (for me) the best assembler ever made.

I think something of higher level (something between C and ASM) whould be more needed.
    I once found something like that (but commercial), it was (as the author said) OS writing language. I thing this is the thing that is missing in programming world. Something that could be used for time critical operation but less complex than ASM.
    That is why I'm starting to designing such thing right now :)

AsmGuru, where can I find some info on your assemble (or is there any) ?

: AsmGuru, where can I find some info on your assemble (or is there any) ?
    :
    :
    :
    [blue]If you need the 'OS writing' abilities of Assembler - check out the FASM. In my opinion - the best Assembler ever.

Mine is almost done. Have you heard of HLA? I am creating something in that manner - with Object-Oriented Design, like C++.

And, of course, I will provide the IDE for it, I think it will be good one - with the Resource Editor and Auto-Complete features and so on...

Also, I am planning to provide some class library, so the large projects will not take a lot of time to develop.

The target platform is Win32.
    [/blue]
  • PrzemekG_PrzemekG_ Posts: 595Member

: [blue]If you need the 'OS writing' abilities of Assembler - check out the FASM. In my opinion - the best Assembler ever.
    :
    : Mine is almost done. Have you heard of HLA? I am creating something in that manner - with Object-Oriented Design, like C++.
    :
    : And, of course, I will provide the IDE for it, I think it will be good one - with the Resource Editor and Auto-Complete features and so on...
    :
    : Also, I am planning to provide some class library, so the large projects will not take a lot of time to develop.
    :
    : The target platform is Win32.
    : [/blue]
    :

I don't need 'OS writing' abilities. I need some low level language, and I'm designing it now.
    You will post some info when you finish it here on ph ?
    :
    : : [blue]If you need the 'OS writing' abilities of Assembler - check out the FASM. In my opinion - the best Assembler ever.
    : : Mine is almost done. Have you heard of HLA? I am creating something in that manner - with Object-Oriented Design, like C++.
    : : And, of course, I will provide the IDE for it, I think it will be good one - with the Resource Editor and Auto-Complete features and so on...
    : : Also, I am planning to provide some class library, so the large projects will not take a lot of time to develop.
    : : The target platform is Win32.
    : : [/blue]
    :
    : I don't need 'OS writing' abilities. I need some low level language, and I'm designing it now.
    : You will post some info when you finish it here on ph ?
    :
    [blue]Yes, I will share it on my site and post some info.[/blue]