help with random error - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

help with random error

bcTune33bcTune33 Posts: 12Member
I am writing a program which accesses a Microsoft Access database and inserts baseball card info in.

The program works flawlessly 95% of the time, however I get this random error which crashes the program.

It says: "Could not convert variant of type (Null) into type (string).

Any Ideas? If it would help I can upload or email a copy of my files.

Please let me know if anyone has seen this...I'm new to delphi but I've put alot of time into this program.

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

Comments

• bcTune33bcTune33 Posts: 12Member
    *update*

OK it seems to have something to do with the following:

Before a new record is sorted, the program checks to see if the record exists, if so, it just updates the quantity field and total value field.

I check by using a series of nested if then statements.

The field that seems to be causing the problem is named 'CardDesc'. It contains special information of the card (ie if it is a gold card, rookie card, etc.) the problem seems to arise when there is nothing in the field at all. The program tries to set CardDescStr:=ADOTable2.FieldByName('cardDesc').value;
    and I'm guessing that's where the error comes from. Any ideas?

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

• UlvertUlvert Posts: 58Member
    : *update*
    :
    : OK it seems to have something to do with the following:
    :
    : Before a new record is sorted, the program checks to see if the record exists, if so, it just updates the quantity field and total value field.
    :
    : I check by using a series of nested if then statements.
    :
    : The field that seems to be causing the problem is named 'CardDesc'. It contains special information of the card (ie if it is a gold card, rookie card, etc.) the problem seems to arise when there is nothing in the field at all. The program tries to set CardDescStr:=ADOTable2.FieldByName('cardDesc').value;
    : and I'm guessing that's where the error comes from. Any ideas?
    : *----------------------------------------*
    :
    : There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
    :
    :
    :
    :

Why do you use .Value for FieldByName and not .AsString if you know that it is a string?

I always use specific .AsString, .AsInteger, AsBoolean, etc and find that it works very well for me.

//Ulvert