Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

i'm new

jobob351jobob351 Posts: 3Member
i'm new and i have no idea where to download java or where to start and what to do but i want to learn so i need some help please

Comments

• VilanyeVilanye Posts: 684Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Vilanye at 2005-6-27 16:48:33[/red][/b][hr]
    : i'm new and i have no idea where to download java or where to start and what to do but i want to learn so i need some help please
    :

http://java.sun.com

There you can get everything you need. Download J2SE, and follow the directions for installing and configuring. You can download 1.4.x or 1.5.x. I still use 1.4.2, but both are fine for most things. The site also has tutorials to get you started and a wealth of other documentaion including the excellent documention for the J2SE API.

Some advice, find a book to learn from. Go to Amazon or somewhere like it and read user reviews. IMO, it is easier to learn from a book, then from the web. The web is a great source to help with a problem you are having. IMO, forget learning GUI stuff at first, it uses a bunch of concepts(objects and inheritance) that will likely be over your head for a while(not long though), so using it adds more work for you but teaches you little, and might add confusion. Same for IDE's(Netbeans, Eclipse, ect), they are great tools but have a steep learing curve on their own, which makes it harder to just learn the basics. Use a decent editor(crimson editor(free), textpad) to write your programs and the command prompt to compile and debug.

Read a chapter, or section of a tutorial and make sure you understand it. Then write code that uses those concepts, it never has to be a large program. Tutorials and books will have ideas on what to write, use tose and built on the ideas. Writing code and making mistakes is how you learn. Sometimes it feels like you are banging your head against a wall, but stick with it. The compiler is not your enemy but your friend. Pay attention to the errors and warnings it gives, and find out why it gave them.
  • ZarjayZarjay Posts: 21Member
    : i'm new and i have no idea where to download java or where to start and what to do but i want to learn so i need some help please
    :

If you don't feel like buying a book, there are plenty of resources online that can teach you basic Java techniques. What I think would be a good idea is to find a site, like a college or school site or a site that has Java book chapter listings. Write down the titles of each heading, and then do a Google search for each category. It may be easier to get a book, but there are so many resources online for Java that it's just as easy to just learn online.
  • datavirtuedatavirtue Posts: 12Member
    :
    I study/studied Java for two years and have two stacks of books taller than me just for Java. Most books are useless but be prepared to read them anyway. By the time you do learn Java you should know more than just Java. Another thing; java is supposed to be easy to learn but this really translates into "easy to use after you learn it". Try C first then TRY to make sense of C++ then try Java. Linear programming is easy, modular is easy after you are used to linear and so on ...up to OOP which is different for every lang that impplements OOP. Just because you can USE java doesn't mean you are programming OOP. OOP is a state-of-mind not a programming lang. A lang. can be designed OOP but it is not OOP until you use it and program an application in an OOP way. Hopefully this helps you on your quest. You will need many books, the online tutorials suck; there should really be videos for beginners since trying to learn this stuff from academic definitions (books, theroy) is very painful (rquires much IQ)

P.S. A lot of people probably know how to use java but few know what they are doing.

Sean