Disable bookmarking? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Disable bookmarking?

Basically, I'm looking for a way to stop a user to bookmark a page. Is there a way to disable/disallow a user to bookmark a page? If there isn't a way to do it, what other way can I prevent a user from bookmarking a url that leads to a download that only a site member should have access to.

For example, I would like to prevent a situation where a member bookmarks a url and passes the url that could contain links to a downloads page to a friend who's not a member of the site.

Comments

• dspencerdspencer Posts: 10Member
    Would it be better to use a Session Object to handle this? Can this be done using a Session Object? How would this be done using a Session Object?
  • FlakesFlakes Posts: 642Member
    : Would it be better to use a Session Object to handle this? Can this be done using a Session Object? How would this be done using a Session Object?
    :

Session variable would work. You just populate a session variable after login, and check this variable in the download page. If its populated, allow the download else dont.

: : Would it be better to use a Session Object to handle this? Can this be done using a Session Object? How would this be done using a Session Object?
    :
    : Session variable would work. You just populate a session variable after login, and check this variable in the download page. If its populated, allow the download else dont.
    :
    :

Ok Thanks. That works for a the dowload page in question. I just thought of another scenario. What if the user types in the path of the ZIP/PDF file in the URL address bar? I won't be able to validate against the Session variable, correct? Is there a way prevent a user from downloading a file by typing in the URL to the file? Or would I have to create some kind of script to some how "deliver/serve" the file to the user in order to prevent this special case?
  • FlakesFlakes Posts: 642Member
    : : : Would it be better to use a Session Object to handle this? Can this be done using a Session Object? How would this be done using a Session Object?
    : :
    : : Session variable would work. You just populate a session variable after login, and check this variable in the download page. If its populated, allow the download else dont.
    :
    : Ok Thanks. That works for a the dowload page in question. I just thought of another scenario. What if the user types in the path of the ZIP/PDF file in the URL address bar? I won't be able to validate against the Session variable, correct? Is there a way prevent a user from downloading a file by typing in the URL to the file? Or would I have to create some kind of script to some how "deliver/serve" the file to the user in order to prevent this special case?
    :

Dont show the user the actual path, use a download page, which gets the name/id of the file only, and use the ADOD.Stream to send it to the user.

This might be of help.

http://aspalliance.com/409

: : Ok Thanks. That works for a the dowload page in question. I just thought of another scenario. What if the user types in the path of the ZIP/PDF file in the URL address bar? I won't be able to validate against the Session variable, correct? Is there a way prevent a user from downloading a file by typing in the URL to the file? Or would I have to create some kind of script to some how "deliver/serve" the file to the user in order to prevent this special case?
    :
    :
    : Dont show the user the actual path, use a download page, which gets the name/id of the file only, and use the ADOD.Stream to send it to the user.
    :
    : This might be of help.
    :
    : http://aspalliance.com/409
    :
    :

Yes, that's a great example! I'll just need to change it from VBscript to JScript.

One other question. Is it possible to store the downloadable file on a server but not within the docroot? For example, say the docroot on the server was C:sitesub-directory and I wanted to store/serve the downloadable file in C:downloads directory. Is that possible?
    : : : Ok Thanks. That works for a the dowload page in question. I just thought of another scenario. What if the user types in the path of the ZIP/PDF file in the URL address bar? I won't be able to validate against the Session variable, correct? Is there a way prevent a user from downloading a file by typing in the URL to the file? Or would I have to create some kind of script to some how "deliver/serve" the file to the user in order to prevent this special case?
    : : :
    : : Dont show the user the actual path, use a download page, which gets the name/id of the file only, and use the ADOD.Stream to send it to the user.
    : : This might be of help.
    : : http://aspalliance.com/409
    :
    : Yes, that's a great example! I'll just need to change it from VBscript to JScript.
    :
    : One other question. Is it possible to store the downloadable file on a server but not within the docroot? For example, say the docroot on the server was C:sitesub-directory and I wanted to store/serve the downloadable file in C:downloads directory. Is that possible?
    :

Thanks for all your help Flakes! I used the example as a model and changed it to Jscript into of VBscript.