Looking for help on writing - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Looking for help on writing

TrashCanTrashCan Posts: 1Member
[b][red]This message was edited by TrashCan at 2006-4-30 21:49:17[/red][/b][hr]
Hello,

I am Florian Broerse and sicne I year I'm writing Scifi books. What does this have to do with programming? Well... not really that much except that I am planning to write a story about 80 years of space scifi conflict between aliens and humans...

The plannig is kinda hard to do in the writing tools that exist today... so I need a little extra something to do the trick. Since I only had some classes in C++ and some webdevelopment skills I can't create these tools.

I am hoping to find someone who can help me out with this!

Below is the design document for the Galaxy Creator and the Story Planner tool.

Whoever can help me? I would be in you debt... forever...

Florian Broerse

---------------
Galaxy Creator:
---------------

Purpose:
The purpose of the Galaxy Creator is to make a universe for Sci-Fi epics. There is extensive need to visualize the galaxy and store the data for later retrieval. This is essential to plan stories with such a wide variety of places where a story can take place.

Outline:
In order to create the universe a universe map must be made. This map shows all the star systems. These star systems are visualized as These star systems are all connected to each other with lines which represent between which star systems travel is possible in case travel takes place through nodes or jump points. In case of faster then light travel (FTL) where ships can travel from star to star at high speed no jump line is necessary. Also, there should be certain types of travel between stars. Like black holes, quasars and nodes. For Eonyn, where travel between star systems happens through jump points there is a need to show if a jump point is discovered or not.

When clicking on a star system a pop up should be shown showing the star system it self. It shows the sun in the middle and the planets surrounding it. Plus a number with how many moon each planet has. Clicking on a planet will bring up an information screen where you can read about the moons, significant places and the sorts.

The universe map should also be divided in sectors. Big squares that hold several star systems. Giving the star systems a color on the universe map is also necessary.

I also need a ability to save the maps, since the boundries shift from time to time.

--------------
Story Planner:
--------------

Purpose:
The Story Planner serves one purpose only. Making a visualization of the story in a way to plan subplots, plots and other story lines to come together and to make sense why certain things in your story happen. Many writing tools just dont support the creation of long story lines like Eonyn. This is why a new kind of program is needed.

Outline:
The story planner is simple. It offers a white screen where you can put squares on, and connect multiple squared by lines. These are the events that follow up on each other. But one event can lead to several other events, and can all be connected again at the end.

All lines should indicate what kind of link there is between events, like reference, follow up, secret ect

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Hello,
    :
    : I am Florian Broerse and sicne I year I'm writing Scifi books. What does this have to do with programming? Well... not really that much except that I am planning to write a story about 80 years of space scifi conflict between aliens and humans...
    :
    : The plannig is kinda hard to do in the writing tools that exist today... so I need a little extra something to do the trick. Since I only had some classes in C++ and some webdevelopment skills I can't create these tools.
    :
    : I am hoping to find someone who can help me out with this!
    :
    : Below is the design document for the Galaxy Creator and the Story Planner tool.
    :
    : Whoever can help me? I would be in you debt... forever...
    :
    : Florian Broerse
    :
    : ---------------
    : Galaxy Creator:
    : ---------------
    :
    : Purpose:
    : The purpose of the Galaxy Creator is to make a universe for Sci-Fi epics. There is extensive need to visualize the galaxy and store the data for later retrieval. This is essential to plan stories with such a wide variety of places where a story can take place.
    :
    : Outline:
    : In order to create the universe a universe map must be made. This map shows all the star systems. These star systems are visualized as These star systems are all connected to each other with lines which represent between which star systems travel is possible in case travel takes place through nodes or jump points. In case of faster then light travel (FTL) where ships can travel from star to star at high speed no jump line is necessary. Also, there should be certain types of travel between stars. Like black holes, quasars and nodes. For Eonyn, where travel between star systems happens through jump points there is a need to show if a jump point is discovered or not.
    :
    : When clicking on a star system a pop up should be shown showing the star system it self. It shows the sun in the middle and the planets surrounding it. Plus a number with how many moon each planet has. Clicking on a planet will bring up an information screen where you can read about the moons, significant places and the sorts.
    :
    : The universe map should also be divided in sectors. Big squares that hold several star systems. Giving the star systems a color on the universe map is also necessary.
    :
    : I also need a ability to save the maps, since the boundries shift from time to time.
    :
    : --------------
    : Story Planner:
    : --------------
    :
    : Purpose:
    : The Story Planner serves one purpose only. Making a visualization of the story in a way to plan subplots, plots and other story lines to come together and to make sense why certain things in your story happen. Many writing tools just dont support the creation of long story lines like Eonyn. This is why a new kind of program is needed.
    :
    : Outline:
    : The story planner is simple. It offers a white screen where you can put squares on, and connect multiple squared by lines. These are the events that follow up on each other. But one event can lead to several other events, and can all be connected again at the end.
    :
    : A drawing would best suffice for this explanation:
    :
    : found here: http://www.etype.nl/trashcan/eonyn/idea.jpg
    :
    : All lines should indicate what kind of link there is between events, like reference, follow up, secret ect
    :
    :
    What does this have to do with XML?