Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What am I doing wrong?

XybexXybex Member Posts: 2
[b][red]This message was edited by Xybex at 2005-6-10 12:8:51[/red][/b][hr]
OK, I am following SAMS "teach yourself delphi 4 in 21 days" book, and I have read chapter two. The author has set out some exercises, the first of which is something like "write a procedure to change a label caption and call it when a button is clicked." Sounds simple.

This is the unit code:

unit Unit1;

interface

uses
Windows, Messages, SysUtils, Variants, Classes, Graphics, Controls, Forms,
Dialogs, StdCtrls;

type
TForm1 = class(TForm)
Label1: TLabel;
Button1: TButton;
procedure Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
private
{ Private declarations }
public
{ Public declarations }
end;

var
Form1: TForm1;

implementation

{$R *.dfm}

procedure change(x:string);
begin
Label1.caption := x;
end;

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
var
capt: string;
begin
capt:='hello';
change(capt);
end;

end.

I can't for the life of me find why the compiler doesn't like the procedure I put. It says "undeclared identifier Label1" but typing the exact same thing in an onclick event handler seems to work. What is the difference?
I would appreciate it if someone could help me out here.

I am using Delphi 7.

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Member Posts: 6,349
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Xybex at 2005-6-10 12:8:51[/red][/b][hr]
    : OK, I am following SAMS "teach yourself delphi 4 in 21 days" book, and I have read chapter two. The author has set out some exercises, the first of which is something like "write a procedure to change a label caption and call it when a button is clicked." Sounds simple.
    :
    : This is the unit code:
    :
    : unit Unit1;
    :
    : interface
    :
    : uses
    : Windows, Messages, SysUtils, Variants, Classes, Graphics, Controls, Forms,
    : Dialogs, StdCtrls;
    :
    : type
    : TForm1 = class(TForm)
    : Label1: TLabel;
    : Button1: TButton;
    : procedure Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
    : private
    : { Private declarations }
    : public
    : { Public declarations }
    : end;
    :
    : var
    : Form1: TForm1;
    :
    : implementation
    :
    : {$R *.dfm}
    :
    : procedure change(x:string);
    : begin
    : Label1.caption := x;
    :
    : procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
    : var
    : capt: string;
    : begin
    : capt:='hello';
    : change(capt);
    :
    : end.
    :
    : I can't for the life of me find why the compiler doesn't like the procedure I put. It says "undeclared identifier Label1" but typing the exact same thing in an onclick event handler seems to work. What is the difference?
    : I would appreciate it if someone could help me out here.
    :
    : I am using Delphi 7.
    :
    The difference is the scope of the OnClick() and Change(). Label1 is a field of Form1. Fields are only accessible through either specifying which object they belong to or within other parts of the object itself. There are 2 ways to specify which object a field belongs to: using the dot (.)-symbol or the "with" reserved word:
    [code]
    Form1.Label1

or

with Form1 do
    Label1
    [/code]
    Inside methods (=procedures which are part of an object) all the fields and methods of that object are freely accessible. You might say that Delphi sees methods as:
    [code]
    var
    begin
    [blue] with Form1 do
    begin[/blue]
    capt:='hello';
    change(capt);
    [blue] end;[/blue]
    end;
    [/code]
    The blue part is implicitly added by the compiler. In this case the method:
    [code]
    var
    begin
    [blue] with Form1 do
    begin[/blue]
    Label1.Capion := 'Hello world';
    [blue] end;[/blue]
    end;
    [/code]
    is using the "with" word to specify, which object Label1 is part of.
    In the procedure Change() Delphi cannot be certain which object Label1 belongs to.
    Suppose you have 2 forms, each with a Label1. To which Label1 does the procedure Change() refer to? The one on Form1 or on Form2? The "human" error would read: "Undetermined object for field Label1". But the Delphi compiler tries to find the Label1 in the declared variables. Label1 isn't listed as a variable, thus it doesn't know that identifier. Hence that error.

I hope this explains the nature of that error and also gives you a clue to the solution.
  • XybexXybex Member Posts: 2
    Thankyou. That helped immensely and it now works nicely. I thought I had the idea of scope down, but it looks like some more reading is in order on the subject.
    Thanks for taking the time to help me.