Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help with Direct3D

bmiller1222bmiller1222 Member Posts: 107
Ok, I have spent at least 2 weeks already looking for some good help with direct3D programming and still nothing, and as everyone knows Microsoft, they do not provide a very good help system (well, lots of help, nothing you need). Anyways, I have found many tutorials for c++ and c#, but none really for vb.net. Could someone point me in the right direction, perhaps even a good tutorial (preferably with some code, does not matter though as long it cleary explains how to go about using direct3d). I am very new to 3d programming, but would like to learn it. I am very proficient with the entire visual studio .net, but I just thought it would probably be easier to learn 3d programming in vb. Basically, all i can do so far is create full screen window, with nothing on it. Yes, my abilities in this area are very limited right now. I just hope i am properly initializing direct3d for that window. Anyways, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• bmiller1222bmiller1222 Member Posts: 107
    : Ok, I have spent at least 2 weeks already looking for some good help with direct3D programming and still nothing, and as everyone knows Microsoft, they do not provide a very good help system (well, lots of help, nothing you need). Anyways, I have found many tutorials for c++ and c#, but none really for vb.net. Could someone point me in the right direction, perhaps even a good tutorial (preferably with some code, does not matter though as long it cleary explains how to go about using direct3d). I am very new to 3d programming, but would like to learn it. I am very proficient with the entire visual studio .net, but I just thought it would probably be easier to learn 3d programming in vb. Basically, all i can do so far is create full screen window, with nothing on it. Yes, my abilities in this area are very limited right now. I just hope i am properly initializing direct3d for that window. Anyways, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.
    :
    Ok, all i need for now is to know how to load a mesh from an .x file. I can load the mesh so far, but then i know i need to create an array of materials and an array of textures to store the subsets. Here is my problem, how do i create a new array of these objects. I think my mind is going dumb on me from thinking too hard lately. Anyways, i declare the arrays, then when i go to set the arrays to a new reference, i cannot do this. Also, i have noticed that i cannot simply create an empty texture object with vb.net 2003, but with c++ and c# you can. If someone could let me know basically what to do after i load the mesh that would be great, thanks.
  • CroWCroW Member Posts: 348
    : : Ok, I have spent at least 2 weeks already looking for some good help with direct3D programming and still nothing, and as everyone knows Microsoft, they do not provide a very good help system (well, lots of help, nothing you need). Anyways, I have found many tutorials for c++ and c#, but none really for vb.net. Could someone point me in the right direction, perhaps even a good tutorial (preferably with some code, does not matter though as long it cleary explains how to go about using direct3d). I am very new to 3d programming, but would like to learn it. I am very proficient with the entire visual studio .net, but I just thought it would probably be easier to learn 3d programming in vb. Basically, all i can do so far is create full screen window, with nothing on it. Yes, my abilities in this area are very limited right now. I just hope i am properly initializing direct3d for that window. Anyways, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.
    : :
    : Ok, all i need for now is to know how to load a mesh from an .x file. I can load the mesh so far, but then i know i need to create an array of materials and an array of textures to store the subsets. Here is my problem, how do i create a new array of these objects. I think my mind is going dumb on me from thinking too hard lately. Anyways, i declare the arrays, then when i go to set the arrays to a new reference, i cannot do this. Also, i have noticed that i cannot simply create an empty texture object with vb.net 2003, but with c++ and c# you can. If someone could let me know basically what to do after i load the mesh that would be great, thanks.
    :

the msdn provides lots of good help (except some sdk-version confusion on older dx-sdks).however it assumes youre already knowing the basics on 3d-programming.a little matrices-calculations,whar vertices are and what you can do with them and so on.

its been a while since my last directgraphics coding since i prefer coding opengl so i dont know the exact commands.a generell-way is:

- create an instance of a vertexbuffer object
    - use the lock-method, fill it and unlock afterwards
    - create a texture and fill it the same way
    - call the DrawVertexBuffer method

note that VB is as fast as c/c++ when just loading data and calling dx-methods.however,when doing your own math-stuff on MANY vertices( vertex-culling,morphing,etc) VB will be much slower than c++

• bmiller1222bmiller1222 Member Posts: 107
    [b][red]This message was edited by bmiller1222 at 2005-6-14 2:44:44[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Ok, I have spent at least 2 weeks already looking for some good help with direct3D programming and still nothing, and as everyone knows Microsoft, they do not provide a very good help system (well, lots of help, nothing you need). Anyways, I have found many tutorials for c++ and c#, but none really for vb.net. Could someone point me in the right direction, perhaps even a good tutorial (preferably with some code, does not matter though as long it cleary explains how to go about using direct3d). I am very new to 3d programming, but would like to learn it. I am very proficient with the entire visual studio .net, but I just thought it would probably be easier to learn 3d programming in vb. Basically, all i can do so far is create full screen window, with nothing on it. Yes, my abilities in this area are very limited right now. I just hope i am properly initializing direct3d for that window. Anyways, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.
    : : :
    : : Ok, all i need for now is to know how to load a mesh from an .x file. I can load the mesh so far, but then i know i need to create an array of materials and an array of textures to store the subsets. Here is my problem, how do i create a new array of these objects. I think my mind is going dumb on me from thinking too hard lately. Anyways, i declare the arrays, then when i go to set the arrays to a new reference, i cannot do this. Also, i have noticed that i cannot simply create an empty texture object with vb.net 2003, but with c++ and c# you can. If someone could let me know basically what to do after i load the mesh that would be great, thanks.
    : :
    :
    : the msdn provides lots of good help (except some sdk-version confusion on older dx-sdks).however it assumes youre already knowing the basics on 3d-programming.a little matrices-calculations,whar vertices are and what you can do with them and so on.
    :
    : its been a while since my last directgraphics coding since i prefer coding opengl so i dont know the exact commands.a generell-way is:
    :
    : - create an instance of a vertexbuffer object
    : - use the lock-method, fill it and unlock afterwards
    : - create a texture and fill it the same way
    : - call the DrawVertexBuffer method
    :
    : note that VB is as fast as c/c++ when just loading data and calling dx-methods.however,when doing your own math-stuff on MANY vertices( vertex-culling,morphing,etc) VB will be much slower than c++
    :
    :
    Thanks for the help. I do realize that programming directx is about the same with both languages, as you are using a common api. I just figured it will be easier to learn with vb.net, becuase of the general nature of the language. I have been making good progress with direct3d though, i do not use the above method, and i get around 380 fps when just simply rotating a cube. I think this is quite quick considering i use a laptop, and as we all know the graphics cards are not the best on these. If you know or could recommend any good web sites for direct3d programming that would be great, with maybe some more advanced stuff. Usually I catch on to things pretty quick, except directx takes a little time, but the other night i just sat down and it all made sense. Again, thanks for the suggestion. Oh ya, about the msdn, i have it installed and everything is for dx8.1, and the web site it pretty useless as well, but thanks.