Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

API for GUI dev

allelopathallelopath Posts: 26Member
Is there an C++ API for GUI development that is open source and cross platform (kinda like Java Swing, but in C++)

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : Is there an C++ API for GUI development that is open source and cross platform (kinda like Java Swing, but in C++)
    :

None that I am aware of -- I've seen several that cost $$$, and one that can be used free for learning purposes, but costs $$$ if you want to sell the product. .NET is heading that direction, but its certainly not free (except there are no royalties for the product(s) produced by the Vusla Studio .NET)
  • VilanyeVilanye Posts: 684Member
    : Is there an C++ API for GUI development that is open source and cross platform (kinda like Java Swing, but in C++)
    :
    There are 2 that I am aware of:

QT- it has a free, open source version, but forces you to open source your code if you want to release the program. Otherwise it is stupidly expensive, but is cross platform.

wxWidgets- Open source, cross-platform, and free. You can do whatever you want with the resulting programs you write.

Both are more then a GUI library, they have string classes, network libraries and more. There are parts of C++ that are not directly supported in either, but you can use anything in C++ along with the above libraries.