Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help file help please!!

I'm creating a help file to use in my Delphi application using Microsoft Help Workshop 4.03.0002. I created my topics file in MS Word 2000 and saved it as an .rtf file but I can't get any of the rtf tokens to work. Can someone tell me why this might be?

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Member Posts: 6,349
    : I'm creating a help file to use in my Delphi application using Microsoft Help Workshop 4.03.0002. I created my topics file in MS Word 2000 and saved it as an .rtf file but I can't get any of the rtf tokens to work. Can someone tell me why this might be?
    :
    That is because word handles the footnotes very badly. Often after a few deletes the footnotes become cluttered with old invisible code within the rtf itself. This stops the Help Workshop from recognizing the topic tokens. A solution is to get a better, more stable rtf editor, which can handle footnotes.
  • Jimi HendrixJimi Hendrix Member Posts: 9
    : : I'm creating a help file to use in my Delphi application using Microsoft Help Workshop 4.03.0002. I created my topics file in MS Word 2000 and saved it as an .rtf file but I can't get any of the rtf tokens to work. Can someone tell me why this might be?
    : :
    : That is because word handles the footnotes very badly. Often after a few deletes the footnotes become cluttered with old invisible code within the rtf itself. This stops the Help Workshop from recognizing the topic tokens. A solution is to get a better, more stable rtf editor, which can handle footnotes.
    :
    Thanks for replying. I've tried  #{footnote 0} and can't get either to work. I've deleted the file and created it again several times but still no good. Could it be that Word 2000 doesn't work with this version do you think?
  • zibadianzibadian Member Posts: 6,349
    : : : I'm creating a help file to use in my Delphi application using Microsoft Help Workshop 4.03.0002. I created my topics file in MS Word 2000 and saved it as an .rtf file but I can't get any of the rtf tokens to work. Can someone tell me why this might be?
    : : :
    : : That is because word handles the footnotes very badly. Often after a few deletes the footnotes become cluttered with old invisible code within the rtf itself. This stops the Help Workshop from recognizing the topic tokens. A solution is to get a better, more stable rtf editor, which can handle footnotes.
    : Thanks for replying. I've tried  #{footnote 0} and can't get either to work. I've deleted the file and created it again several times but still no good. Could it be that Word 2000 doesn't work with this version do you think?
    :
    As I have said earlier, word corrupts the footnotes, which are necessary for the topic control. I have had similar problems with word 6, 95, 2000 and 2003 and various versions of the MS Help Workshop since 2.0. Currently I'm using Help & Manual 3 (http://www.helpandmanual.com/), which is simple to use and as far as I have seen bug-free.
  • Jimi HendrixJimi Hendrix Member Posts: 9
    Thanks. I think I've sorted it by using a third party app.
    Thanks again for your help.
    : : : : I'm creating a help file to use in my Delphi application using Microsoft Help Workshop 4.03.0002. I created my topics file in MS Word 2000 and saved it as an .rtf file but I can't get any of the rtf tokens to work. Can someone tell me why this might be?
    : : : :
    : : : That is because word handles the footnotes very badly. Often after a few deletes the footnotes become cluttered with old invisible code within the rtf itself. This stops the Help Workshop from recognizing the topic tokens. A solution is to get a better, more stable rtf editor, which can handle footnotes.
    : : :
    : : Thanks for replying. I've tried  #{footnote 0} and can't get either to work. I've deleted the file and created it again several times but still no good. Could it be that Word 2000 doesn't work with this version do you think?
    : As I have said earlier, word corrupts the footnotes, which are necessary for the topic control. I have had similar problems with word 6, 95, 2000 and 2003 and various versions of the MS Help Workshop since 2.0. Currently I'm using Help & Manual 3 (http://www.helpandmanual.com/), which is simple to use and as far as I have seen bug-free.
    :