Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

libray program

katlilepkatlilep Posts: 4Member
Hi fellow prigrammers I'm trying to write a program for a library. Which shoul entail the flexibility with the user so. It should have some sort of storage for names and access codes. I was considering having a trap door but however this seems to be the common point of entry for unathorized users. It should also entail a sophisticated search system for books tha are available. bye hope to hear from yo'll soon.

Comments

• Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Phat Nat at 2005-6-5 0:36:45[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi fellow prigrammers I'm trying to write a program for a library. Which shoul entail the flexibility with the user so. It should have some sort of storage for names and access codes. I was considering having a trap door but however this seems to be the common point of entry for unathorized users. It should also entail a sophisticated search system for books tha are available. bye hope to hear from yo'll soon.
    :

Nice. How far have you gotten?. Have you drawn up any plans? Are you having a problem on a specific part or just need a push in the right direction? Post code that you have with problems you're having.

If you don't have a start, think of this. First, forget about backdoors, etc for now. This is what you will need for starters:
    [code]
    * User Database
    > For security this should be encoded. Add the encoding later though.
    * Book Database
    * Search Engine
    * GUI
    [/code]

A User Database is easily Done (Same with Books). Create a record/object that has a listing of all info. In this case a User Database will contain:
    [code]
    * Login Name
    * Last Name
    * First Name
    * Password
    * Class #/School Section
    * etc
    [/code]

Book Database could be:
    [code]
    * Book Name
    * Scan Code #
    * Section (Mys, Fic, Fan, Mag)
    * Location (eg. 1B, 3F, 6C, etc)
    * Author
    * Release Date
    * etc
    [/code]

A Search Engine would be easy to add onto these and the GUI will probably be the most time consuming to make it easy to use. For the above records, you will need to either use Linked Lists or constantly access the Data Files. The second is easier and allows for Huge number of Records. The Down-side is the file access time will slow down searches alot.

You may want to do a file-based Database access for the User Login and a linked-list for the Book Searches. Anyways, when you get stuck, drop a line.

Phat Nat

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Phat Nat at 2005-6-5 0:36:45[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hi fellow prigrammers I'm trying to write a program for a library. Which shoul entail the flexibility with the user so. It should have some sort of storage for names and access codes. I was considering having a trap door but however this seems to be the common point of entry for unathorized users. It should also entail a sophisticated search system for books tha are available. bye hope to hear from yo'll soon.
    : :
    :
    : Nice. How far have you gotten?. Have you drawn up any plans? Are you having a problem on a specific part or just need a push in the right direction? Post code that you have with problems you're having.
    :
    : If you don't have a start, think of this. First, forget about backdoors, etc for now. This is what you will need for starters:
    : [code]
    : * User Database
    : > For security this should be encoded. Add the encoding later though.
    : * Book Database
    : * Search Engine
    : * GUI
    : [/code]
    :
    : A User Database is easily Done (Same with Books). Create a record/object that has a listing of all info. In this case a User Database will contain:
    : * Login Name
    : * Last Name
    : * First Name
    : * Password
    : * Class #/School Section
    : * etc
    :
    : Book Database could be:
    : * Book Name
    : * Scan Code #
    : * Section (Mys, Fic, Fan, Mag)
    : * Location (eg. 1B, 3F, 6C, etc)
    : * Author
    : * Release Date
    : * etc
    :
    : A Search Engine would be easy to add onto these and the GUI will probably be the most time consuming to make it easy to use. For the above records, you will need to either use Linked Lists or constantly access the Data Files. The second is easier and allows for Huge number of Records. The Down-side is the file access time will slow down searches alot.
    :
    : You may want to do a file-based Database access for the User Login and a linked-list for the Book Searches. Anyways, when you get stuck, drop a line.
    :
    : Phat Nat
    :
    :
    You could also consider a hybrid database: a file-based with a buffer of several linked-list records. This should speed-up the searching somewhat, because you can blockread a number of records instead of 1 at a time.
  • katlilepkatlilep Posts: 4Member
    Thanx alot fellow pro you've helped me alot in getting the right direction with my program. I will be sure to mail you should I experience problems with coding but however for now all I can ask is how can I establish a great GUI.
  • Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : Thanx alot fellow pro you've helped me alot in getting the right direction with my program. I will be sure to mail you should I experience problems with coding but however for now all I can ask is how can I establish a great GUI.
    :

What do you mean by great? What you want is something user-friendly. Forget about showy & stuff. For this reason most library systems (of the past anyways) are done in text mode. Straight forward, easy to use... kinda. However, with the popularity of computers nowadays and everyone being used to point & click, you may opt to go for a Graphical representation. Just remember the well known acronym:

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

Not everyone can program and some can barely use a computer. Others prefer books (which is why they're using your program ;)

So, no matter what you come up with make sure that your Mom... or even better, your Grandmother can use it.

Phat Nat