Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How to run or access an compiled (.exe) VB application?

marl24marl24 Posts: 20Member
Hello, I just want to know if VB can run or use another executable VB application? I have a VB project in which the data that I will be using will be generated by another VB application (already compiled/run-time version). Presently, the run-time VB application manually generates an excel file which holds the data I will be using. My VB project requires the data to be automatically generated through the run-time VB application. Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Bulgarian_VBBulgarian_VB Posts: 307Member
    : Hello, I just want to know if VB can run or use another executable VB application? I have a VB project in which the data that I will be using will be generated by another VB application (already compiled/run-time version). Presently, the run-time VB application manually generates an excel file which holds the data I will be using. My VB project requires the data to be automatically generated through the run-time VB application. Thanks in advance..
    :
    You can use the Shell command to run any executable with specified parameters. HOwever, have in mind that the execution will not be synchronized; that is, the Shell command will return control to your program and you cannot be sure at that point if the other program have completed generating the excel worksheet.

If you need to implement a synchronized execution, you will need to use API:

1. ShellExecuteEx to run the application returning a process handle
    2. WaitForSingleObject to wait for the process to finish

Hope I helped,
    Nikolay Semov

• bmiller1222bmiller1222 Posts: 107Member
    : : Hello, I just want to know if VB can run or use another executable VB application? I have a VB project in which the data that I will be using will be generated by another VB application (already compiled/run-time version). Presently, the run-time VB application manually generates an excel file which holds the data I will be using. My VB project requires the data to be automatically generated through the run-time VB application. Thanks in advance..
    : :
    : You can use the Shell command to run any executable with specified parameters. HOwever, have in mind that the execution will not be synchronized; that is, the Shell command will return control to your program and you cannot be sure at that point if the other program have completed generating the excel worksheet.
    :
    : If you need to implement a synchronized execution, you will need to use API:
    :
    : 1. ShellExecuteEx to run the application returning a process handle
    : 2. WaitForSingleObject to wait for the process to finish
    :
    : Hope I helped,
    : Nikolay Semov
    :
    :
    or just shell(filename)
  • marl24marl24 Posts: 20Member
    : : : Hello, I just want to know if VB can run or use another executable VB application? I have a VB project in which the data that I will be using will be generated by another VB application (already compiled/run-time version). Presently, the run-time VB application manually generates an excel file which holds the data I will be using. My VB project requires the data to be automatically generated through the run-time VB application. Thanks in advance..
    : : :
    : : You can use the Shell command to run any executable with specified parameters. HOwever, have in mind that the execution will not be synchronized; that is, the Shell command will return control to your program and you cannot be sure at that point if the other program have completed generating the excel worksheet.
    : : If you need to implement a synchronized execution, you will need to use API:
    : : 1. ShellExecuteEx to run the application returning a process handle
    : : 2. WaitForSingleObject to wait for the process to finish
    : : Hope I helped,
    : : Nikolay Semov
    : or just shell(filename)
    :
    Thanks for the response..
  • AMBER_GENIOUSAMBER_GENIOUS Posts: 2Member