Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Installation of My Application

_yilmaz_yilmaz Member Posts: 150
Hi all;

I have developed an application using Delphi7. This application is a database project, and it makes use of MS Access 2000 database files.
The communication is done via TADO database components with MS Jet 4.0
driver.

My question is, along with my own exe, is there any other files
(MDAC version? MS Jet .dll files?) i should also copy during the installation of my application?

Because these may vary on different machines.

Thank you,

_yilmaz

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Member Posts: 6,349
    : Hi all;
    :
    : I have developed an application using Delphi7. This application is a database project, and it makes use of MS Access 2000 database files.
    : The communication is done via TADO database components with MS Jet 4.0
    : driver.
    :
    : My question is, along with my own exe, is there any other files
    : (MDAC version? MS Jet .dll files?) i should also copy during the installation of my application?
    :
    : Because these may vary on different machines.
    :
    : Thank you,
    :
    : _yilmaz
    :
    The best way to do this is to check the version of each of the drivers during the installation. Then if the driver is too old, archive it and install the new one. This way the user can always uninstall them as needed. A lot of "installation program"-compilers (such as installshield) have this option and can perform a lot of these functions with a few lines of a script language.
  • _yilmaz_yilmaz Member Posts: 150
    Is it enough to put the required MSJet dll file under the same directory
    with the exe file? That is, the directory which the exe file resides is the first place looked for the dll files?

: : Hi all;
    : :
    : : I have developed an application using Delphi7. This application is a database project, and it makes use of MS Access 2000 database files.
    : : The communication is done via TADO database components with MS Jet 4.0
    : : driver.
    : : My question is, along with my own exe, is there any other files
    : : (MDAC version? MS Jet .dll files?) i should also copy during the installation of my application?
    : : Because these may vary on different machines.
    : : Thank you,
    : : _yilmaz
    : The best way to do this is to check the version of each of the drivers during the installation. Then if the driver is too old, archive it and install the new one. This way the user can always uninstall them as needed. A lot of "installation program"-compilers (such as installshield) have this option and can perform a lot of these functions with a few lines of a script language.
    :

: Is it enough to put the required MSJet dll file under the same directory
    : with the exe file? That is, the directory which the exe file resides is the first place looked for the dll files?
    :
    : : : Hi all;
    : : :
    : : : I have developed an application using Delphi7. This application is a database project, and it makes use of MS Access 2000 database files.
    : : : The communication is done via TADO database components with MS Jet 4.0
    : : : driver.
    : : : My question is, along with my own exe, is there any other files
    : : : (MDAC version? MS Jet .dll files?) i should also copy during the installation of my application?
    : : : Because these may vary on different machines.
    : : : Thank you,
    : : : _yilmaz
    : : The best way to do this is to check the version of each of the drivers during the installation. Then if the driver is too old, archive it and install the new one. This way the user can always uninstall them as needed. A lot of "installation program"-compilers (such as installshield) have this option and can perform a lot of these functions with a few lines of a script language.
    :
    :
    That is enough, although you risk installing the file more than once. And if there are updates for that file in the future, your application won't use those. The main advantage is that you don't need to worry if the file already exists.
  • _yilmaz_yilmaz Member Posts: 150
    Hi;

Thank you for your reply.

My application mainly uses MS Access 2000 through ADO components.
    And I want to prepare an installation file for my application.

- How can i know which drivers / .dll files my application
    makes use of?

: : Hi all;
    : : I have developed an application using Delphi7. This application is a database project, and it makes use of MS Access 2000 database files.
    : : The communication is done via TADO database components with MS Jet 4.0
    : : driver.
    : : My question is, along with my own exe, is there any other files
    : : (MDAC version? MS Jet .dll files?) i should also copy during the installation of my application?
    : : Because these may vary on different machines.
    : : Thank you,
    : : _yilmaz
    : The best way to do this is to check the version of each of the drivers during the installation. Then if the driver is too old, archive it and install the new one. This way the user can always uninstall them as needed. A lot of "installation program"-compilers (such as installshield) have this option and can perform a lot of these functions with a few lines of a script language.
    :

: Hi;
    :
    : Thank you for your reply.
    :
    : My application mainly uses MS Access 2000 through ADO components.
    : And I want to prepare an installation file for my application.
    :
    : - How can i know which drivers / .dll files my application
    : makes use of?
    :
    : : : Hi all;
    : : : I have developed an application using Delphi7. This application is a database project, and it makes use of MS Access 2000 database files.
    : : : The communication is done via TADO database components with MS Jet 4.0
    : : : driver.
    : : : My question is, along with my own exe, is there any other files
    : : : (MDAC version? MS Jet .dll files?) i should also copy during the installation of my application?
    : : : Because these may vary on different machines.
    : : : Thank you,
    : : : _yilmaz
    : : The best way to do this is to check the version of each of the drivers during the installation. Then if the driver is too old, archive it and install the new one. This way the user can always uninstall them as needed. A lot of "installation program"-compilers (such as installshield) have this option and can perform a lot of these functions with a few lines of a script language.
    :
    :
    No idea. I never write Databases using the ADO components. I either use my own objects, MIDAS or design a specialized database structure. You should check the documentation on the ADO components for that.