question - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

question

javanewbjavanewb Posts: 1Member
I am writing a chat program, and I am trying to figure out how to add in a timer that will disconnect the person after a certain period of time.

One class I have that accepts the chat string from the user and disconnects on request and whenever the client disconects unexpectedly, and will(hopefully) disconnect after x minutes. This class implements Runnable.

My first thought was a Timer class that implements runnable, and throws a TimedOutException. Problem is that run can not throw anything.

Is it possible/good idea, for Timer to inherit the class mentioned above, and run in a seperate thread?

Any suggestions or advice on disconnecting a Socket after a set time will be greatly appreciated.