Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

I want to write code on my handheld (not on a desktop PC)

[b][red]This message was edited by HeadSoft at 2005-5-16 5:3:55[/red][/b][hr]
Hello, I'm a developer/researcher and at my work I usually write and debug software using Developer Studio or one of a few freeware/Open Source IDEs for Windows and *nix, writing portable C++.

I wish to develop on my NEC MobilePro 780 (that is, develop ON the mobile device, not the desktop PC.) With spring well underway, it's too nice out not to take my work to a shady spot under a tree at the park once in awhile - rather than the stuffy office or lab's desktop machines. My laptop is more than I need or want to lug around, and the MobilePro was purchased precisely with this use in mind.

I was hoping someone would advise of a solution to this problem, I haven't found anything for C++ or even C development on the mobile device, not even a programmer's editor let alone an IDE. This would be extremely interesting to me, especially if it were freeware or Open Source. I work in a non-profit group so there is a very limited budget.

Note: I do have a wireless network card (Enterasys) from which I already wirelessly web browse, but I have no means to create a Partnership in order to to install software that requires ActiveSync - the device was purchased refurbished without a cradle or cable, and none of the desktop machines currently have IrDA. I currently sidestep this issue by direct downloads in Pocket Internet Explorer, or copying to the CompactFlash card writer on the desktop units.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights.

Comments

• rushenttrushentt Member Posts: 33
    I am not aware of any system that allows development directly on a handheld. Normally you would do it on a PC/laptop and then either upload directly (which you can do with embedded visual basic) or create a distribution pack (Embedded VB or Embedded Visual C)).
    You can get embedded visual basic free of charge I believe (or you used to be able to) from Microsoft download site.
    No doubt someone out there will beg to differ ...
    Rgds
    Terry
    Lower Stone, Gloucestershire, UK.

: [b][red]This message was edited by HeadSoft at 2005-5-16 5:3:55[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hello, I'm a developer/researcher and at my work I usually write and debug software using Developer Studio or one of a few freeware/Open Source IDEs for Windows and *nix, writing portable C++.
    :
    : I wish to develop on my NEC MobilePro 780 (that is, develop ON the mobile device, not the desktop PC.) With spring well underway, it's too nice out not to take my work to a shady spot under a tree at the park once in awhile - rather than the stuffy office or lab's desktop machines. My laptop is more than I need or want to lug around, and the MobilePro was purchased precisely with this use in mind.
    :
    : I was hoping someone would advise of a solution to this problem, I haven't found anything for C++ or even C development on the mobile device, not even a programmer's editor let alone an IDE. This would be extremely interesting to me, especially if it were freeware or Open Source. I work in a non-profit group so there is a very limited budget.
    :
    : Note: I do have a wireless network card (Enterasys) from which I already wirelessly web browse, but I have no means to create a Partnership in order to to install software that requires ActiveSync - the device was purchased refurbished without a cradle or cable, and none of the desktop machines currently have IrDA. I currently sidestep this issue by direct downloads in Pocket Internet Explorer, or copying to the CompactFlash card writer on the desktop units.
    :
    : Thanks in advance for any advice or insights.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :