Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

EXE Disassemblers

I was hoping if someone out there could help me.
I'm kinda new to VB programming, but I do understand some of the essentials. My employer from work wants to upgrade the current program they are using for dispatching calls to cab drivers. The thing is, the program was built in 1993 and only runs in DOS, so my XP system can't run it.
What I am trying to do, is to look at the original source code of the current program to help me figure out how it communicates with the radio modem that our company uses to talk to the computers in the cars (ie. how data is transmitted and received). Then I will build upon that original code with new enhanced features available through Visual Basic.
I've been trying to find some programs or instructions on the internet as to how I can do this. The only thing that seems slightly promising, is a program called IDA Pro Freeware Version 4.3. I can open the DOS program in this one, and some text does appear on the screen, but it looks like machine code to me, it doesn't look like source code.
Does anyone know what to do after this point? How can I convert what I see into source code that is familiar and understandeable?
I would even be willing to allow someone to have the original DOS program, and if they could convert it into source code, that would be even better.
If anyone can help, that would be great...

Thankyou

Comments

• MT2002MT2002 Member Posts: 1,444
    : I was hoping if someone out there could help me.
    : I'm kinda new to VB programming, but I do understand some of the essentials. My employer from work wants to upgrade the current program they are using for dispatching calls to cab drivers. The thing is, the program was built in 1993 and only runs in DOS, so my XP system can't run it.
    : What I am trying to do, is to look at the original source code of the current program to help me figure out how it communicates with the radio modem that our company uses to talk to the computers in the cars (ie. how data is transmitted and received). Then I will build upon that original code with new enhanced features available through Visual Basic.
    : I've been trying to find some programs or instructions on the internet as to how I can do this. The only thing that seems slightly promising, is a program called IDA Pro Freeware Version 4.3. I can open the DOS program in this one, and some text does appear on the screen, but it looks like machine code to me, it doesn't look like source code.
    : Does anyone know what to do after this point? How can I convert what I see into source code that is familiar and understandeable?
    [blue]
    It is impossible to convert an executable into its original
    source code (Unless its assembly language, of course).
    [/blue]
    : I would even be willing to allow someone to have the original DOS program, and if they could convert it into source code, that would be even better.
    : If anyone can help, that would be great...
    :
    : Thankyou
    :
    [blue]
    Whats wrong with IDA Pro? Did you read any tutorials/articals
    on how to use it? I never used IDA Pro, but this might help:
    http://www.datarescue.com/idadoc/417.htm
    What compiler do you have/use? Many compilers have internal
    disassemblers (I know Borland and Microsoft VC++ do).[/blue]
  • pmcastillopmcastillo Member Posts: 140
    : : I was hoping if someone out there could help me.
    : : I'm kinda new to VB programming, but I do understand some of the essentials. My employer from work wants to upgrade the current program they are using for dispatching calls to cab drivers. The thing is, the program was built in 1993 and only runs in DOS, so my XP system can't run it.
    : : What I am trying to do, is to look at the original source code of the current program to help me figure out how it communicates with the radio modem that our company uses to talk to the computers in the cars (ie. how data is transmitted and received). Then I will build upon that original code with new enhanced features available through Visual Basic.
    : : I've been trying to find some programs or instructions on the internet as to how I can do this. The only thing that seems slightly promising, is a program called IDA Pro Freeware Version 4.3. I can open the DOS program in this one, and some text does appear on the screen, but it looks like machine code to me, it doesn't look like source code.
    : : Does anyone know what to do after this point? How can I convert what I see into source code that is familiar and understandeable?
    : [blue]
    : It is impossible to convert an executable into its original
    : source code (Unless its assembly language, of course).
    : [/blue]
    : : I would even be willing to allow someone to have the original DOS program, and if they could convert it into source code, that would be even better.
    : : If anyone can help, that would be great...
    : :
    : : Thankyou
    : Whats wrong with IDA Pro? Did you read any tutorials/articals
    : on how to use it? I never used IDA Pro, but this might help:
    : http://www.datarescue.com/idadoc/417.htm
    : What compiler do you have/use? Many compilers have internal
    : disassemblers (I know Borland and Microsoft VC++ do).[/blue]
    :
    Ummmm.... I'm a noob... How to debug using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0?
    : : : I was hoping if someone out there could help me.
    : : : I'm kinda new to VB programming, but I do understand some of the essentials. My employer from work wants to upgrade the current program they are using for dispatching calls to cab drivers. The thing is, the program was built in 1993 and only runs in DOS, so my XP system can't run it.
    : : : What I am trying to do, is to look at the original source code of the current program to help me figure out how it communicates with the radio modem that our company uses to talk to the computers in the cars (ie. how data is transmitted and received). Then I will build upon that original code with new enhanced features available through Visual Basic.
    : : : I've been trying to find some programs or instructions on the internet as to how I can do this. The only thing that seems slightly promising, is a program called IDA Pro Freeware Version 4.3. I can open the DOS program in this one, and some text does appear on the screen, but it looks like machine code to me, it doesn't look like source code.
    : : : Does anyone know what to do after this point? How can I convert what I see into source code that is familiar and understandeable?
    : : [blue]
    : : It is impossible to convert an executable into its original
    : : source code (Unless its assembly language, of course).
    : : [/blue]
    : : : I would even be willing to allow someone to have the original DOS program, and if they could convert it into source code, that would be even better.
    : : : If anyone can help, that would be great...
    : : :
    : : : Thankyou
    : : Whats wrong with IDA Pro? Did you read any tutorials/articals
    : : on how to use it? I never used IDA Pro, but this might help:
    : : http://www.datarescue.com/idadoc/417.htm
    : : What compiler do you have/use? Many compilers have internal
    : : disassemblers (I know Borland and Microsoft VC++ do).[/blue]
    : Ummmm.... I'm a noob... How to debug using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0?
    :
    [blue]
    If you have a project open, in the main menu go to:
    [green]Build->Start Debug->Go[/green] or just hit [green]F5[/green], and it will start.

A new menu item, [green]Debug[/green] will appear
    with varies debugging options. To view more debug
    windows (call stack, registers, [b]dissassembly[/b],
    etc. go to [green]View->Debug Windows->..[/green].

Lastly, you could insert a breakpoint (to stop execution)
    on any line by right-clicking the line->Insert Breakpoint.

Good luck;[/blue]
  • pmcastillopmcastillo Member Posts: 140
    : : : : I was hoping if someone out there could help me.
    : : : : I'm kinda new to VB programming, but I do understand some of the essentials. My employer from work wants to upgrade the current program they are using for dispatching calls to cab drivers. The thing is, the program was built in 1993 and only runs in DOS, so my XP system can't run it.
    : : : : What I am trying to do, is to look at the original source code of the current program to help me figure out how it communicates with the radio modem that our company uses to talk to the computers in the cars (ie. how data is transmitted and received). Then I will build upon that original code with new enhanced features available through Visual Basic.
    : : : : I've been trying to find some programs or instructions on the internet as to how I can do this. The only thing that seems slightly promising, is a program called IDA Pro Freeware Version 4.3. I can open the DOS program in this one, and some text does appear on the screen, but it looks like machine code to me, it doesn't look like source code.
    : : : : Does anyone know what to do after this point? How can I convert what I see into source code that is familiar and understandeable?
    : : : [blue]
    : : : It is impossible to convert an executable into its original
    : : : source code (Unless its assembly language, of course).
    : : : [/blue]
    : : : : I would even be willing to allow someone to have the original DOS program, and if they could convert it into source code, that would be even better.
    : : : : If anyone can help, that would be great...
    : : : :
    : : : : Thankyou
    : : : Whats wrong with IDA Pro? Did you read any tutorials/articals
    : : : on how to use it? I never used IDA Pro, but this might help:
    : : : http://www.datarescue.com/idadoc/417.htm
    : : : What compiler do you have/use? Many compilers have internal
    : : : disassemblers (I know Borland and Microsoft VC++ do).[/blue]
    : : Ummmm.... I'm a noob... How to debug using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0?
    : If you have a project open, in the main menu go to:
    : [green]Build->Start Debug->Go[/green] or just hit [green]F5[/green], and it will start.
    :
    : A new menu item, [green]Debug[/green] will appear
    : with varies debugging options. To view more debug
    : windows (call stack, registers, [b]dissassembly[/b],
    : etc. go to [green]View->Debug Windows->..[/green].
    :
    : Lastly, you could insert a breakpoint (to stop execution)
    : on any line by right-clicking the line->Insert Breakpoint.
    :
    : Good luck;[/blue]
    :
    I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT! =) Thanks man! Ummmmm... But how about the COM files... I only see it's hex not it's ASM code... How?
    : : : : : I was hoping if someone out there could help me.
    : : : : : I'm kinda new to VB programming, but I do understand some of the essentials. My employer from work wants to upgrade the current program they are using for dispatching calls to cab drivers. The thing is, the program was built in 1993 and only runs in DOS, so my XP system can't run it.
    : : : : : What I am trying to do, is to look at the original source code of the current program to help me figure out how it communicates with the radio modem that our company uses to talk to the computers in the cars (ie. how data is transmitted and received). Then I will build upon that original code with new enhanced features available through Visual Basic.
    : : : : : I've been trying to find some programs or instructions on the internet as to how I can do this. The only thing that seems slightly promising, is a program called IDA Pro Freeware Version 4.3. I can open the DOS program in this one, and some text does appear on the screen, but it looks like machine code to me, it doesn't look like source code.
    : : : : : Does anyone know what to do after this point? How can I convert what I see into source code that is familiar and understandeable?
    : : : : [blue]
    : : : : It is impossible to convert an executable into its original
    : : : : source code (Unless its assembly language, of course).
    : : : : [/blue]
    : : : : : I would even be willing to allow someone to have the original DOS program, and if they could convert it into source code, that would be even better.
    : : : : : If anyone can help, that would be great...
    : : : : :
    : : : : : Thankyou
    : : : : [blue]
    : : : : Whats wrong with IDA Pro? Did you read any tutorials/articals
    : : : : on how to use it? I never used IDA Pro, but this might help:
    : : : : http://www.datarescue.com/idadoc/417.htm
    : : : : What compiler do you have/use? Many compilers have internal
    : : : : disassemblers (I know Borland and Microsoft VC++ do).[/blue]
    : : : Ummmm.... I'm a noob... How to debug using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0?
    : : If you have a project open, in the main menu go to:
    : : [green]Build->Start Debug->Go[/green] or just hit [green]F5[/green], and it will start.
    : : A new menu item, [green]Debug[/green] will appear
    : : with varies debugging options. To view more debug
    : : windows (call stack, registers, [b]dissassembly[/b],
    : : etc. go to [green]View->Debug Windows->..[/green].
    : : Lastly, you could insert a breakpoint (to stop execution)
    : : on any line by right-clicking the line->Insert Breakpoint.
    : : Good luck;[/blue]
    : I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT! =) Thanks man! Ummmmm... But how about the COM files... I only see it's hex not it's ASM code... How?
    :
    [blue]
    Any file MSVC++ doesnt internally know how to open
    (usually pure binary ak, COM) is loaded this way.
    I dont know if there is a way in MSVC++ though..

You *can* however, get a dissassembler to convert
    the byte code to assembly language. Some compilers
    have a command line option for outputting the ASM

With Borland Builder 5 its -S. I dont know if MSVC++
    has one though..Ill check.[/blue]
    : : : : : : I was hoping if someone out there could help me.
    : : : : : : I'm kinda new to VB programming, but I do understand some of the essentials. My employer from work wants to upgrade the current program they are using for dispatching calls to cab drivers. The thing is, the program was built in 1993 and only runs in DOS, so my XP system can't run it.
    : : : : : : What I am trying to do, is to look at the original source code of the current program to help me figure out how it communicates with the radio modem that our company uses to talk to the computers in the cars (ie. how data is transmitted and received). Then I will build upon that original code with new enhanced features available through Visual Basic.
    : : : : : : I've been trying to find some programs or instructions on the internet as to how I can do this. The only thing that seems slightly promising, is a program called IDA Pro Freeware Version 4.3. I can open the DOS program in this one, and some text does appear on the screen, but it looks like machine code to me, it doesn't look like source code.
    : : : : : : Does anyone know what to do after this point? How can I convert what I see into source code that is familiar and understandeable?
    : : : : : [blue]
    : : : : : It is impossible to convert an executable into its original
    : : : : : source code (Unless its assembly language, of course).
    : : : : : [/blue]
    : : : : : : I would even be willing to allow someone to have the original DOS program, and if they could convert it into source code, that would be even better.
    : : : : : : If anyone can help, that would be great...
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : : Thankyou
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : [blue]
    : : : : : Whats wrong with IDA Pro? Did you read any tutorials/articals
    : : : : : on how to use it? I never used IDA Pro, but this might help:
    : : : : : http://www.datarescue.com/idadoc/417.htm
    : : : : : What compiler do you have/use? Many compilers have internal
    : : : : : disassemblers (I know Borland and Microsoft VC++ do).[/blue]
    : : : : Ummmm.... I'm a noob... How to debug using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0?
    : : : If you have a project open, in the main menu go to:
    : : : [green]Build->Start Debug->Go[/green] or just hit [green]F5[/green], and it will start.
    : : : A new menu item, [green]Debug[/green] will appear
    : : : with varies debugging options. To view more debug
    : : : windows (call stack, registers, [b]dissassembly[/b],
    : : : etc. go to [green]View->Debug Windows->..[/green].
    : : : Lastly, you could insert a breakpoint (to stop execution)
    : : : on any line by right-clicking the line->Insert Breakpoint.
    : : : Good luck;[/blue]
    : : I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT! =) Thanks man! Ummmmm... But how about the COM files... I only see it's hex not it's ASM code... How?
    : Any file MSVC++ doesnt internally know how to open
    : (usually pure binary ak, COM) is loaded this way.
    : I dont know if there is a way in MSVC++ though..
    :
    : You *can* however, get a dissassembler to convert
    : the byte code to assembly language. Some compilers
    : have a command line option for outputting the ASM
    :
    : With Borland Builder 5 its -S. I dont know if MSVC++
    : has one though..Ill check.[/blue]
    :
    [blue]
    Sorry for the late reply (forgot about this thread..)
    But, just in case you wondering, to dissasemble a
    project with MSVC++ 6:

With a project already opened, go to [green]Project->Settings[/green]
    a dialog box will come up. Click on the [green]C/C++[/green] tab.

From there, go to [green]Category->Listing Files[/green].
    In the [green]Listing File Type[/green] drop-down box contains
    choices of output. For example, to output x86 assembly
    (with source code included as ASM comments) click on
    [green]Assembly With Source Code[/green].

Good Luck!

~mt2002[/blue]
    [hr][italic]"There are ten kinds of people in the world--Those who speak binary, and those who dont!"[/italic]