Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Delphi Crashes

KoppisKoppis Posts: 68Member
What can I do? I accidentally deleted TaskBarIcon-component instead of TaskBar-component. Now I want to install it back. I add the unit into existing package and compile. And it compiles nice. But when I try to locate the component on the Component Palette, Delphi crashes as well as Windows does.
I restart PC, but not when I run Delphi it crashes immediately the PC again.
I was able to use Delphi again by removing the package from its folder. But I need this component with my work. How can I correct this?

Using Delphi 3.0 and Windows 98 SE.

Not sure if I understood correctly, but there seems to be similar problem in Delphi 5. Delphi 5 Crashes if Packages with Design time mode on are installed with many components. I have installed all my new packages as Design time-mode only. Don't know how this should affect. I try make them also Runtime and see if it helps.

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : What can I do? I accidentally deleted TaskBarIcon-component instead of TaskBar-component. Now I want to install it back. I add the unit into existing package and compile. And it compiles nice. But when I try to locate the component on the Component Palette, Delphi crashes as well as Windows does.
    : I restart PC, but not when I run Delphi it crashes immediately the PC again.
    : I was able to use Delphi again by removing the package from its folder. But I need this component with my work. How can I correct this?
    :
    : Using Delphi 3.0 and Windows 98 SE.
    :
    : Not sure if I understood correctly, but there seems to be similar problem in Delphi 5. Delphi 5 Crashes if Packages with Design time mode on are installed with many components. I have installed all my new packages as Design time-mode only. Don't know how this should affect. I try make them also Runtime and see if it helps.
    :
    There might still be old references to the package in the registry or the other parts of the Delphi configuration. Perhaps you should try to locate those and remove them. If that doesn't work, then you might need to reinstall Delphi.
  • KoppisKoppis Posts: 68Member
    : : What can I do? I accidentally deleted TaskBarIcon-component instead of TaskBar-component. Now I want to install it back. I add the unit into existing package and compile. And it compiles nice. But when I try to locate the component on the Component Palette, Delphi crashes as well as Windows does.
    : : I restart PC, but not when I run Delphi it crashes immediately the PC again.
    : : I was able to use Delphi again by removing the package from its folder. But I need this component with my work. How can I correct this?
    : :
    : : Using Delphi 3.0 and Windows 98 SE.
    : : Not sure if I understood correctly, but there seems to be similar problem in Delphi 5. Delphi 5 Crashes if Packages with Design time mode on are installed with many components. I have installed all my new packages as Design time-mode only. Don't know how this should affect. I try make them also Runtime and see if it helps.
    : There might still be old references to the package in the registry or the other parts of the Delphi configuration. Perhaps you should try to locate those and remove them. If that doesn't work, then you might need to reinstall Delphi.
    :
    I tried to see whether there is some kind of limit in the number of components allowed to be installed and tested it with this one unit.[code]

unit testremove;

interface

Uses stdctrls, classes;

type Ttestlabel = class(tlabel)
    end;

procedure register;

implementation
    procedure register;
    begin
    classes.RegisterComponents('test',[Ttestlabel]);
    end;

end.[/code]

As assumed, it will crash Windows. I tried to look in the registry, but found no references to TaskBarIcon. And because it wont install new components anymore, I assume the problem exists at somewhere else.
    I had installed some other UtilMind components after removing the TaskBarIcon-component. I was not able to install all of them either because of crashing. Maybe I have reached the limit? I have [b]149[/b] components installed now, it wont allow me to install any more. I had just reinstalled Delphi because of crashing, but I can't seem to find a way around this. I will try some more tricks.
  • KoppisKoppis Posts: 68Member
    OK, I removed one component and installed the TaskBarIcon-component back. Now everything runs nice again.
    Crazy! And the Borland still does not want to give us the Delphi 3.01 update, only the 3.01==>3.02 update. Hope they suffer.
  • zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : OK, I removed one component and installed the TaskBarIcon-component back. Now everything runs nice again.
    : Crazy! And the Borland still does not want to give us the Delphi 3.01 update, only the 3.01==>3.02 update. Hope they suffer.
    :
    Wise words: don't install components you only use occationally. Just use them dynamically and set their properties in the OnCreate() events. This should help you keep Delphi stable. A lot of custom components can be simulated using the standard events and some coding.
    Borland products are much better than Microsoft's.