Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

HTML and SQL server help

olatundeolaolatundeola Member Posts: 42
I created a webb page input forms using HTML and needed to access my sql server database to display records on the page. How do I go about it?

Comments

• ShanooShanoo Member Posts: 32
    You have to use Server-side scripting (ASP/PHP/JSP etc.) to acheive this.
  • olatundeolaolatundeola Member Posts: 42
    : You have to use Server-side scripting (ASP/PHP/JSP etc.) to acheive this.
    :

What about JavaScript? can it be used.

Javascript embedded in HTML pages is used only for client side scripting. In order to get the records from the database, no matter which scripting/programming language you use, you will have to do server side programming.

The client side script works in the browser once it is downloaded on the client machine, but to display records from database on an HTML page, you need to use server side programming which creates HTML output on the fly as a response to client's request.
  • olatundeolaolatundeola Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the information.

Now am using ASP and VBScript as the server-side script.
    and i have made a perfect connect to my SQL Server Database using ODBC - DSN and need to validate my screen login form by connecting the captured username with the Database. Plse help me.

: Javascript embedded in HTML pages is used only for client side scripting. In order to get the records from the database, no matter which scripting/programming language you use, you will have to do server side programming.
    :
    : The client side script works in the browser once it is downloaded on the client machine, but to display records from database on an HTML page, you need to use server side programming which creates HTML output on the fly as a response to client's request.
    :

Once the user enters the info in the form, he hits the Login button (which is a actually a Submit button). You can specify the page on which this form should be submitted in the action attribute of the form tag, like:

Now, after the user submits the "Login" button, this form gets submitted on "Login.asp" page which you have specified in the form action. In Login.asp, you can access the values of the controls of the login form by using Request.Form("txtUserName") and Request.Form("Pwd").

- HTH