when i create large arrays, error comes : "Segmentation Failure" - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

when i create large arrays, error comes : "Segmentation Failure"

muaz_farooqmuaz_farooq Posts: 4Member
hi everybody,

when i create large arrays like : array[1..2000,1..2000] of integer
it gives error at runtime saying :

'Segmentation Failure'

one importatnt thing, i am working with VECTOR PASCAL. A new compiler of pascal which uses simd instruction set to achieve parallelism. I am sure that all of you guys will be aware of that.

anyways wat should i do.....waiting eagerly for replys...

Comments

• GaashiusGaashius Posts: 349Member
    : hi everybody,
    :
    : when i create large arrays like : array[1..2000,1..2000] of integer
    : it gives error at runtime saying :
    :
    : 'Segmentation Failure'
    :
    : one importatnt thing, i am working with VECTOR PASCAL. A new compiler of pascal which uses simd instruction set to achieve parallelism. I am sure that all of you guys will be aware of that.
    :
    : anyways wat should i do.....waiting eagerly for replys...
    :
    :
    :
    Maybe your array is too large. Do you have any reference book or help file about this VECTOR PASCAL? Maybe they write something about array sizes.

Any questions? Just ask!

:-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)

• ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : hi everybody,
    :
    : when i create large arrays like : array[1..2000,1..2000] of integer
    : it gives error at runtime saying :
    :
    : 'Segmentation Failure'
    :
    : one importatnt thing, i am working with VECTOR PASCAL. A new compiler of pascal which uses simd instruction set to achieve parallelism. I am sure that all of you guys will be aware of that.
    :
    : anyways wat should i do.....waiting eagerly for replys...

Assuming a 32bit integer, that's a 16mb array you're trying to load on the stack, which is probably just too big. You'll probably have to create the array at run-time by allocating memory for it on the heap.