Threads - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Threads

Archer282Archer282 Posts: 243Member
I am having some trouble creating threads in VB, i have used them in C++ many, many times,

i believe the problem is that the callback has a parameter that is LPVOID and VB has no equivilant to this, because i can get CreateThread() function to succeed, but after its has been called the program crashes and causes a debug error

any ideas ?

Comments

• GenjuroGenjuro Posts: 913Member
    : I am having some trouble creating threads in VB, i have used them in C++ many, many times,
    :
    : i believe the problem is that the callback has a parameter that is LPVOID and VB has no equivilant to this, because i can get CreateThread() function to succeed, but after its has been called the program crashes and causes a debug error
    :
    : any ideas ?
    :

One, but quite a clear one.
    Don't multithread in VB6; if you can, prefer DoEvents (which is a kind of PeekMessage wrapper), Shell (it's asynchronous, and any process has a primary thread anyway) or CreateProcess, or Timers (instead of a background thread waiting).

This said, if you really need so, then create a function with a proper prototype, then use the "as any" or "as long" type specifier:

[code]
    Declare CreateThread ... (...., ...., ThreadParm as Any)
    Declare CreateThread ... (...., ...., ByVal ThreadParm as Long)
    [/code]

In case you declare a long, you'd better send in a zero (essentially a NULL pointer). Not that the API messes with that param anyway.

I'd also add a few more pointers:
    - beware the VB6 runtime: it *can* crash, when shutting down a multithreaded program (not at random, though), although threads work fine.
    - Don't use any additional thread tied to the user interface, as most UI properties/methods have no multithreading support and will crash at random.