Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Kohonen's Self-Organizing Map with Delphi?

biolyzerbiolyzer Member Posts: 4
Well, Kohonen's group at Helsinki University developed the SOMToolBox, which is an excellent implemtation in Matlab of the SOM procedure. You can make LVQ and clustering with this Matlab package, and many others stuffs...

I am trying to develop a Delphi application for classifying images. As I have not enough time to write the code for implementing a SOM LVQ clustering I went around in the www but couldnt find source code for doing the SOM clustering. Please, email me if you know some Delphi or BC++ component, source code or D6 compatible DCU, for doing SOM mapping.

THere is some interesting code at a russian labgroup website, but it is incredibly slow when I run this package. It uses DB files as data source for training the SOM.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Ronald

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Member Posts: 6,349
    : Well, Kohonen's group at Helsinki University developed the SOMToolBox, which is an excellent implemtation in Matlab of the SOM procedure. You can make LVQ and clustering with this Matlab package, and many others stuffs...
    :
    : I am trying to develop a Delphi application for classifying images. As I have not enough time to write the code for implementing a SOM LVQ clustering I went around in the www but couldnt find source code for doing the SOM clustering. Please, email me if you know some Delphi or BC++ component, source code or D6 compatible DCU, for doing SOM mapping.
    :
    : THere is some interesting code at a russian labgroup website, but it is incredibly slow when I run this package. It uses DB files as data source for training the SOM.
    :
    : Thanks a lot in advance!
    : Ronald
    :
    :
    :
    :
    This might be something: http://www.lohninger.com/kohonen.html
  • biolyzerbiolyzer Member Posts: 4
    Hello!!!!
    thanks a lot for the idea about the SOMTOOLBOX developed by Kohonene's group. Actually I've used in several opportunities, but for the task I have now, it does not suit the need for speed, time processing, component processing capability (more than 100 vector components), as my job is to process many (really many) files, each file having 10,000 up to 50,000 (yes, fifty thousands!!!!) vectors, and each vector having up to 125 components... so you see. Anyway, I tried also the Loehinger component and all I can say is that their component is just a piece of garbage demo... the slowest delphi component I ever tried, no source code, up to 150 vectors, and up to 6 components per vector... no more comments.

Maybe what I need is some help in how to make by myself the whole SOM program... I have tested lot of programs for doing SOM maps but everything I found is just too much slow, have memry limitations (in these days of 8 GB RAM it is just funny to find memory limitations)

Thanks anyway!!!
    Ronald

: : Well, Kohonen's group at Helsinki University developed the SOMToolBox, which is an excellent implemtation in Matlab of the SOM procedure. You can make LVQ and clustering with this Matlab package, and many others stuffs...
    : :
    : : I am trying to develop a Delphi application for classifying images. As I have not enough time to write the code for implementing a SOM LVQ clustering I went around in the www but couldnt find source code for doing the SOM clustering. Please, email me if you know some Delphi or BC++ component, source code or D6 compatible DCU, for doing SOM mapping.
    : : THere is some interesting code at a russian labgroup website, but it is incredibly slow when I run this package. It uses DB files as data source for training the SOM.
    : : Thanks a lot in advance!
    : : Ronald
    : This might be something: http://www.lohninger.com/kohonen.html
    :

• zibadianzibadian Member Posts: 6,349
    : Hello!!!!
    : thanks a lot for the idea about the SOMTOOLBOX developed by Kohonene's group. Actually I've used in several opportunities, but for the task I have now, it does not suit the need for speed, time processing, component processing capability (more than 100 vector components), as my job is to process many (really many) files, each file having 10,000 up to 50,000 (yes, fifty thousands!!!!) vectors, and each vector having up to 125 components... so you see. Anyway, I tried also the Loehinger component and all I can say is that their component is just a piece of garbage demo... the slowest delphi component I ever tried, no source code, up to 150 vectors, and up to 6 components per vector... no more comments.
    :
    : Maybe what I need is some help in how to make by myself the whole SOM program... I have tested lot of programs for doing SOM maps but everything I found is just too much slow, have memry limitations (in these days of 8 GB RAM it is just funny to find memory limitations)
    :
    : Thanks anyway!!!
    : Ronald
    :
    :
    : : : Well, Kohonen's group at Helsinki University developed the SOMToolBox, which is an excellent implemtation in Matlab of the SOM procedure. You can make LVQ and clustering with this Matlab package, and many others stuffs...
    : : :
    : : : I am trying to develop a Delphi application for classifying images. As I have not enough time to write the code for implementing a SOM LVQ clustering I went around in the www but couldnt find source code for doing the SOM clustering. Please, email me if you know some Delphi or BC++ component, source code or D6 compatible DCU, for doing SOM mapping.
    : : : THere is some interesting code at a russian labgroup website, but it is incredibly slow when I run this package. It uses DB files as data source for training the SOM.
    : : : Thanks a lot in advance!
    : : : Ronald
    : : This might be something: http://www.lohninger.com/kohonen.html
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Perhaps you should try to write it in kylix or even in C on a full parallel calculation grid. As for the memory limitation, that is a problem in windows and not in Delphi itself. Windows uses 32-bit unsigned integers, which can only handle 4 GB maximum. Delphi based programs will still have the same limitation, unless you can find a full 64-bits compiler.