How do I acquire a legal, reasonable priced Delphi? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How do I acquire a legal, reasonable priced Delphi?

I enjoyed using Delphi, and since I have had more experience in pascal and Delphi than I do in c/c++, I would prefer to continue using it. However, a trial basically says that the code is not yours, although not being able to distribute is understandable since you havent paid. But my understanding is the personal edition doesnt allow you to create a program and sell it. Looking at the cost its quite prohibitive to buy the personal much less the professional edition. An unused/unregistered version on ebay is quite expensive too, unless you get the academic, which is even more restrictive than personal.

Ive looked at the free ones out there that will use the same syntax as Delphi, but of course they cant use Delphi components (at least what I need) which defeats part of the point for me.

Does anyone know of some older versions like 5 or 6 I could get rather cheap, full legal of course. Id rather not get sued or have criminal charges pressed against me, thank you very much. But getting sued trying to get compensation for the time I put into something is also not something that I want.

Sorry if this isnt an appropriate place, not sure where I should be asking.

Thanks in Advance,

Comments

• GaashiusGaashius Posts: 349Member
    : I enjoyed using Delphi, and since I have had more experience in pascal and Delphi than I do in c/c++, I would prefer to continue using it. However, a trial basically says that the code is not yours, although not being able to distribute is understandable since you havent paid. But my understanding is the personal edition doesnt allow you to create a program and sell it. Looking at the cost its quite prohibitive to buy the personal much less the professional edition. An unused/unregistered version on ebay is quite expensive too, unless you get the academic, which is even more restrictive than personal.
    :
    : Ive looked at the free ones out there that will use the same syntax as Delphi, but of course they cant use Delphi components (at least what I need) which defeats part of the point for me.
    :
    : Does anyone know of some older versions like 5 or 6 I could get rather cheap, full legal of course. Id rather not get sued or have criminal charges pressed against me, thank you very much. But getting sued trying to get compensation for the time I put into something is also not something that I want.
    :
    : Sorry if this isnt an appropriate place, not sure where I should be asking.
    :
    : Thanks in Advance,
    :
    :
    Well this is a very honorable thing! Not want to receive Delphi in Software Piracy... you can try:www.amazon.com, it's really authoritative and responsible!

Good luck!

Any questions? Just ask!

:-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)

• solitariansolitarian Posts: 2Member
    : Well this is a very honorable thing! Not want to receive Delphi in Software Piracy... you can try:www.amazon.com, it's really authoritative and responsible!
    :
    : Good luck!
    :
    : ****************
    : Any questions? Just ask!
    :
    : :-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)
    :
    :
    :
    It's the things like this:
    Buy new: $1,169.99 -- Used & new from: $494.85
    that make people get pirated copies.

I guess I will need to find something that can give me all the abilities I need without having to create them myself. Because that is way too prohibitive for me.

Thanks anyways
  • GaashiusGaashius Posts: 349Member
    : : Well this is a very honorable thing! Not want to receive Delphi in Software Piracy... you can try:www.amazon.com, it's really authoritative and responsible!
    : :
    : : Good luck!
    : : ****************
    : : Any questions? Just ask!
    : : :-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)
    : It's the things like this:
    : Buy new: $1,169.99 -- Used & new from: $494.85
    : that make people get pirated copies.
    :
    : I guess I will need to find something that can give me all the abilities I need without having to create them myself. Because that is way too prohibitive for me.
    :
    : Thanks anyways
    :
    You can also try Froogle on www.google.co.uk, it also serves the same point but all over the world.

Any questions? Just ask!

:-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)

• acolburnacolburn Posts: 4Member
    There's a couple textbooks, like the one by Kermann, that include a copy of Delphi 5. I'm thinking it's the 'professional' version, but don't quote me on that. What I *do* know, though, is that it is not the 'personal' version.

Al C.
  • pritaeaspritaeas Posts: 274Member
    HI. I bought my first version on a software/hardware congress. Sometimes suppliers still have some older versions laying around. After you have one, you can use the upgrades to get the latest version for a reasonable price.
  • acolburnacolburn Posts: 4Member
    I checked ... it's Delphi 5 Standard.