extracting pixel color - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

extracting pixel color

jessampjessamp Posts: 2Member
im writing a program where i need to pick a color from a pixel anywhere on the screen. i found a dll which will let me do it by clicking on the screen only.
i need to know how to pick it via pixel coordinates.
could anyone point me in the right direction to some source or reading material on the net??

btw i am running VB6.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• BitByBit_ThorBitByBit_Thor Posts: 2,444Member
    : im writing a program where i need to pick a color from a pixel anywhere on the screen. i found a dll which will let me do it by clicking on the screen only.
    : i need to know how to pick it via pixel coordinates.
    : could anyone point me in the right direction to some source or reading material on the net??
    :
    : btw i am running VB6.
    :
    : any help would be greatly appreciated.
    :

Probably at some point the Mouse Click is converted to cordinates. Instead of converting mouse cordinates, enter your own.

Greets...
    Richard

• HackmanCHackmanC Posts: 441Member
    Use the API... C++...

GetPixel
    The GetPixel function retrieves the red, green, blue (RGB) color value of the pixel at the specified coordinates.

COLORREF GetPixel(
    HDC hdc, // handle to DC
    int nXPos, // x-coordinate of pixel
    int nYPos // y-coordinate of pixel
    );

Look in the API Viewer that comes with VB6 to find the correct translation to VB from C.

To get the hdc of the Screen ... use Screen.hdc

-------
    : : im writing a program where i need to pick a color from a pixel anywhere on the screen. i found a dll which will let me do it by clicking on the screen only.
    : : i need to know how to pick it via pixel coordinates.
    : : could anyone point me in the right direction to some source or reading material on the net??
    : :
    : : btw i am running VB6.
    : : any help would be greatly appreciated.
    :
    : Probably at some point the Mouse Click is converted to cordinates. Instead of converting mouse cordinates, enter your own.
    :
    : Greets...
    : Richard
    :
    :

[red]Good luck![/red]
    [blue]Hackman[/blue]

• jessampjessamp Posts: 2Member
    no the DLL doens't allow me to enter my own co-ordinates
    it has only one function in it and it has code which directly takes the mouse from the screen.

i will check out the API as soon as i get a chance, thanks for the idea