Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Help on Barcode Reader

baroonbikasbaroonbikas Posts: 7Member
Hello! I need to know something regarding Barcode Readers and how can I use them for inventory control.

There are lots of symbology for creating barcode. Should I only use standard barcode symbology.

Next which barcode reader should I use for reading barcodes and how can I use them in VB. The core problem is that I have a CCD barcode scanner with Keyboard port connector. How can I use both, keyboard and barcode reader, at the same time on Keyboard PS2 port. I have tried to find a PS2-to-COM converter but all in vain.

I am desparately seeking help on this matter.

Comments

• DjSpiritDjSpirit Posts: 371Member
    : Hello! I need to know something regarding Barcode Readers and how can I use them for inventory control.
    :
    : There are lots of symbology for creating barcode. Should I only use standard barcode symbology.
    :
    : Next which barcode reader should I use for reading barcodes and how can I use them in VB. The core problem is that I have a CCD barcode scanner with Keyboard port connector. How can I use both, keyboard and barcode reader, at the same time on Keyboard PS2 port. I have tried to find a PS2-to-COM converter but all in vain.
    :
    : I am desparately seeking help on this matter.
    :
    :
    [grey]I think you could get a PS2 splitter in most computer stores, I'm not sure as the PS2 standard is on it's way out. As it is connected to the keyboard plug, I would think that it would give input as keycodes, and the way to get them was to just have focus in a textbox, or use the keypress event.

Code128 is an OK standard to use for inventory because it supports both upper case and lower case as well as numbers. I'm currently working at a similar project, but we use 3rd party software for the barcode scanning and inventoring.

We are using Peregrine AssetCenter for the inventoring, and a JCube/Symbol solution for the barcodes. It seems to work ok, but I would reccommend waiting for the next version of JCube if you want to use it with MS-SQL as opposed to Oracle. I work for a company called Asset Management Partner that delivers all of the above systems as well a customizations of them.

DjSpirit, and that our friends was today's comercials.

PS: all of the above names are copyrights and/or trademarks of their respective owners.[/grey]