Help on Barcode Reader - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help on Barcode Reader

baroonbikasbaroonbikas Posts: 7Member
Hello! I need to know something regarding Barcode Readers and how can I use them for inventory control.

There are lots of symbology for creating barcode. Should I only use standard barcode symbology.

Next which barcode reader should I use for reading barcodes and how can I use them in VB. The core problem is that I have a CCD barcode scanner with Keyboard port connector. How can I use both, keyboard and barcode reader, at the same time on Keyboard PS2 port. I have tried to find a PS2-to-COM converter but all in vain.

I am desparately seeking help on this matter.

Comments

• DjSpiritDjSpirit Posts: 371Member
    : Hello! I need to know something regarding Barcode Readers and how can I use them for inventory control.
    :
    : There are lots of symbology for creating barcode. Should I only use standard barcode symbology.
    :
    : Next which barcode reader should I use for reading barcodes and how can I use them in VB. The core problem is that I have a CCD barcode scanner with Keyboard port connector. How can I use both, keyboard and barcode reader, at the same time on Keyboard PS2 port. I have tried to find a PS2-to-COM converter but all in vain.
    :
    : I am desparately seeking help on this matter.
    :
    :
    [grey]I think you could get a PS2 splitter in most computer stores, I'm not sure as the PS2 standard is on it's way out. As it is connected to the keyboard plug, I would think that it would give input as keycodes, and the way to get them was to just have focus in a textbox, or use the keypress event.

Code128 is an OK standard to use for inventory because it supports both upper case and lower case as well as numbers. I'm currently working at a similar project, but we use 3rd party software for the barcode scanning and inventoring.

We are using Peregrine AssetCenter for the inventoring, and a JCube/Symbol solution for the barcodes. It seems to work ok, but I would reccommend waiting for the next version of JCube if you want to use it with MS-SQL as opposed to Oracle. I work for a company called Asset Management Partner that delivers all of the above systems as well a customizations of them.

DjSpirit, and that our friends was today's comercials.

PS: all of the above names are copyrights and/or trademarks of their respective owners.[/grey]