Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

how can I cut off a part of a string

Matrix.netMatrix.net Posts: 38Member
anyone know how can I cut off parts of a string ?

for example ; I get a string value "hello, the day is red" and I want to just keep "hello".

Comments

• CoryCory Posts: 221Member
    : anyone know how can I cut off parts of a string ?
    :
    : for example ; I get a string value "hello, the day is red" and I want to just keep "hello".
    :
    :

Dim Newstring, Oldstring As String
    Oldstring = "hello, the day is red"
    Newstring = left(Oldstring,5)

This Will Only Work If You Know How Many Characters You Want To Splice. Grouped With This Are The Mid() And Right() Functions.

• GenjuroGenjuro Posts: 913Member
    : : anyone know how can I cut off parts of a string ?
    : :
    : : for example ; I get a string value "hello, the day is red" and I want to just keep "hello".
    :
    : Dim Newstring, Oldstring As String
    : Oldstring = "hello, the day is red"
    : Newstring = left(Oldstring,5)
    :
    : This Will Only Work If You Know How Many Characters You Want To Splice. Grouped With This Are The Mid() And Right() Functions.

Watch out: this isn't C. This line:

Dim Newstring, Oldstring As String

actually declares a string (Oldstring) and a Variant (NewString). A better (language-wise, at least) declaration would be:

Dim Newstring as String, Oldstring As String

Back on topic, along with Mid(), Left() and Right(), I'd also add to the list of fundamental string functions Instr(), and InStrRev().
  • melissa_may1melissa_may1 Posts: 937Member
    : anyone know how can I cut off parts of a string ?
    :
    : for example ; I get a string value "hello, the day is red" and I want to just keep "hello".

I just have to ask...

Where do you live that has "red days"???

[purple]Melissa[/purple]