Audio DSP - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Audio DSP

rob100rob100 Posts: 2Member
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of DSP embedded programming? I am a radio amateur and would like to programme and build my own audio filter equipment. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rob Collis (M0LET)

Comments

• shaolin007shaolin007 Posts: 1,018Member
    : Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of DSP embedded programming? I am a radio amateur and would like to programme and build my own audio filter equipment. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    :
    : Regards
    :
    : Rob Collis (M0LET)
    :
    [green]
    I was making my own driver for the sound blaster 16 dsp in assembly but I didn't finish it. What kind of dsp did you want to program for?
    [/green]

• rob100rob100 Posts: 2Member
    : : Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of DSP embedded programming? I am a radio amateur and would like to programme and build my own audio filter equipment. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    : :
    : : Regards
    : : Rob Collis (M0LET)
    : [green]
    : I was making my own driver for the sound blaster 16 dsp in assembly but I didn't finish it. What kind of dsp did you want to program for?
    : [/green]
    :
    :
    I have experimented a little with using soundcard-driven solutions.
    The problem I have found when using this method is the inevitable delay introduced. It is necessary to tune the radio slowly across the band to avoid hunting across a station several times until it is on-tune.
    Commercial equipment employs embedded processing in order to avoid this.
    I have not decided which device to go for and am open to suggestions, but something reasonably economical! TI, Analogue Devices and Microchip are the main companies I have seen which offer possibilities. Before I take the plunge I really need to be sure they offer what I am looking for and avoid costly and time-consuming dead-ends.

Rob.

• shaolin007shaolin007 Posts: 1,018Member
    : : : Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of DSP embedded programming? I am a radio amateur and would like to programme and build my own audio filter equipment. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    : : :
    : : : Regards
    : : : Rob Collis (M0LET)
    : : [green]
    : : I was making my own driver for the sound blaster 16 dsp in assembly but I didn't finish it. What kind of dsp did you want to program for?
    : : [/green]
    : I have experimented a little with using soundcard-driven solutions.
    : The problem I have found when using this method is the inevitable delay introduced. It is necessary to tune the radio slowly across the band to avoid hunting across a station several times until it is on-tune.
    : Commercial equipment employs embedded processing in order to avoid this.
    : I have not decided which device to go for and am open to suggestions, but something reasonably economical! TI, Analogue Devices and Microchip are the main companies I have seen which offer possibilities. Before I take the plunge I really need to be sure they offer what I am looking for and avoid costly and time-consuming dead-ends.
    :
    : Rob.
    :
    [green]
    What kind of delay are you talking about? From my experience the only drawbacks from programming the SB 16bit dsp directly is that it can only transfer a max of 64k at one time via DMA, however, this is a pain in the rear when you have to consider not crossing a 16k page boundary or else some very bad things could happen. If you go the Microchip route then I would use a high level language to program thier controller because looking at thier assembly language and programming in it would be a pain since they have some funky things you can do to registers that wouldn't be possible with x86 registers. Have you tried maybe Texas Instruments microcontrollers? I heard they were pretty easy to program.
    [/green]