Audio DSP - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Audio DSP

rob100rob100 Posts: 2Member
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of DSP embedded programming? I am a radio amateur and would like to programme and build my own audio filter equipment. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rob Collis (M0LET)

Comments

• shaolin007shaolin007 Posts: 1,018Member
    : Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of DSP embedded programming? I am a radio amateur and would like to programme and build my own audio filter equipment. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    :
    : Regards
    :
    : Rob Collis (M0LET)
    :
    [green]
    I was making my own driver for the sound blaster 16 dsp in assembly but I didn't finish it. What kind of dsp did you want to program for?
    [/green]

• rob100rob100 Posts: 2Member
    : : Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of DSP embedded programming? I am a radio amateur and would like to programme and build my own audio filter equipment. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    : :
    : : Regards
    : : Rob Collis (M0LET)
    : [green]
    : I was making my own driver for the sound blaster 16 dsp in assembly but I didn't finish it. What kind of dsp did you want to program for?
    : [/green]
    :
    :
    I have experimented a little with using soundcard-driven solutions.
    The problem I have found when using this method is the inevitable delay introduced. It is necessary to tune the radio slowly across the band to avoid hunting across a station several times until it is on-tune.
    Commercial equipment employs embedded processing in order to avoid this.
    I have not decided which device to go for and am open to suggestions, but something reasonably economical! TI, Analogue Devices and Microchip are the main companies I have seen which offer possibilities. Before I take the plunge I really need to be sure they offer what I am looking for and avoid costly and time-consuming dead-ends.

Rob.

• shaolin007shaolin007 Posts: 1,018Member
    : : : Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of DSP embedded programming? I am a radio amateur and would like to programme and build my own audio filter equipment. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    : : :
    : : : Regards
    : : : Rob Collis (M0LET)
    : : [green]
    : : I was making my own driver for the sound blaster 16 dsp in assembly but I didn't finish it. What kind of dsp did you want to program for?
    : : [/green]
    : I have experimented a little with using soundcard-driven solutions.
    : The problem I have found when using this method is the inevitable delay introduced. It is necessary to tune the radio slowly across the band to avoid hunting across a station several times until it is on-tune.
    : Commercial equipment employs embedded processing in order to avoid this.
    : I have not decided which device to go for and am open to suggestions, but something reasonably economical! TI, Analogue Devices and Microchip are the main companies I have seen which offer possibilities. Before I take the plunge I really need to be sure they offer what I am looking for and avoid costly and time-consuming dead-ends.
    :
    : Rob.
    :
    [green]
    What kind of delay are you talking about? From my experience the only drawbacks from programming the SB 16bit dsp directly is that it can only transfer a max of 64k at one time via DMA, however, this is a pain in the rear when you have to consider not crossing a 16k page boundary or else some very bad things could happen. If you go the Microchip route then I would use a high level language to program thier controller because looking at thier assembly language and programming in it would be a pain since they have some funky things you can do to registers that wouldn't be possible with x86 registers. Have you tried maybe Texas Instruments microcontrollers? I heard they were pretty easy to program.
    [/green]